some pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nic, May 28, 2007.

1. Nic

Nic Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2007
    UK
    My chicks (hatched from a bator from eggs bought at a nearby free range farm) are 11/12 days old today.
    I'm not sure what breed they are or whether they are hens or roos, I'm keen to know asap really as we want to keep 2 or 3 hens if we have them and I want to start planning building their new home [​IMG]
    Here's Freddie
    [​IMG]

Rhonda
    [​IMG]

Punzel
    [​IMG]

Wobble
    [​IMG]

and finally Feathers who only has one (deformed at that) wing and is smaller than the others but very fiesty and holding his / her own well
    [​IMG]

Nic [​IMG]

2. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Aww, cuties! I can't tell boys from girls, but they're all adorable. I'm touched that you kept Feathers and are giving him/her a shot at life when a lot of people would've culled it at hatch. GOOD FOR YOU!

Just from curiosity, what size of leg band are you using on your chicks? I want to band mine but am not sure what size to get. [​IMG]

3. Nic

Nic Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2007
    UK
    thanks [​IMG]
    The bands are a size 2, we're in the UK and found an excellent food and supplies seller at the weekend so stocked up on a feeder, waterer, grit and crumbs and found the bands for just 8pence each. We've not been able to tell the difference between the 3 yellow chicks so they seemed like a great idea. They were selling size 1 bands as for day old chicks and size 2 for 'chicks' so size 2 seemed like the right ones to get.
    I knew Feathers was going to have problems before it even hatched - he/she took over 3 hours to break out of the egg after I could clearly see it was a black chick - the others were out in minutes from that point. It was really hard not to help him/her break out of the egg and it was sad to see it only had one wing but it is doing fine and if it's a hen then I see no reasons why it won't be one of the ones we keep if it survives ok.

We're keeping a close eye on them to ensure it's not getting bullied by the others.

4. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Yaaaaaaay for Rhonda!! (that's my name) LOL Seriously, they're beautiful!

5. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    my babys' names are:

Lump: a chick that is floppy he is verry sweet he is a black jap. roo

Amoraq: a nother black jap. he comes to my hand when I put it down roo

Cina:a fiesty meile fluer roo

Garlic:the smallest meile fluer pullet

G.T.:short for Garlic's twin pullet

Ginger:the largest wyndotte feisty pullet

Biddy: moms favorite wyndotte pullet