Some pictures and a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by K4zn4v3, Nov 15, 2010.

1. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    My muscovy duckling is 5 weeks old tomorow and I was wondering if any one could tell me the gender. The pictures were all taken today. I was also wondering, when a female muscovy's voice changes at what age does it start and will I be able to hear the difference or does it change so slow I will barley notice. And lastley I was wondering when female muscovies began to fly? Do I need to clip its wings as soon as the blood feathers are gone or can I wait a little while? Enjoy the pictures.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry i can't help since it's been verrrry long since we had muscovies ( about 12 years) Sooooooooo cute ! i just LOVE muscovies.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I am at work but cant see the photos to comment- but muscovies do not have a voice change the same way that mallard derived ducks do. The muscovy duck will not have a loud quack the same way a pekin or Welsh harlequin would so voice is not a good indicator of sex. Furthermore- sexing a muscovy at 5 weeks is still very difficult. They need to be quite a bit bigger on many cases to tell just by looking at it. You were told it was vent sexed when you bought it... I still say you must trust that for now until it is older - or something in the body shape can tell you different.

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Looks like a female to me [​IMG]

5. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Female! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by