Some pictures of my chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ariel301, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I got these chickens a week ago. I wasn't planning to get any until spring when baby chicks are available, but a lady down the road from us was getting rid of the last of hers, so I brought home five. And then a friend gave me another rooster, so I've got a little flock started. I'll still be buying some chicks in the spring as well to get a bigger group. They're nothing special, but I like them. [​IMG]

Forgive the poopy ground, they were foraging around in the goat pens while I was working on cleaning out the dirty bedding.

The lady I bought them from told me this one's a pullet, but I'm not so sure. It's about 8 weeks old. It also has a crippled foot, but seems to do all right anyway. I'm hoping it is not a rooster, I do not need another rooster!
    [​IMG]

Here's the mystery chicken again in back, with its sibling in front. I'm pretty sure the front one is a pullet...right?
    [​IMG]

This is my bantam EE rooster...his tail is a little scruffy right now.
    [​IMG]

This guy was given to me by a friend who has too many roosters...he's probably going into the freezer since he's very loud and not very friendly. He was supposed to be a Jersey Giant, but I don't think he is purebred, since he's got some light yellowish colored feathers across his back. (It doesn't show up in the picture) Lol my husband thinks it looks like one of the goats peed on him!
    [​IMG]

This is a bantam EE hen, and supposedly the mother of the two young ones. I'm not even sure what to call her color, but I like it. Everyone thinks she looks like a falcon, especially if she perches on someone's arm. She's got red eyes too--I have never seen a red-eyed chicken before.
    [​IMG]

And here is my white Leghorn hen, who won't stop brooding the other adult chickens! She gets in a nest box and calls them, and they climb underneath her so she can sit on them!
    [​IMG]

And just for fun, here's one of my goats, since she was trying to hog the camera. This is Bonnie, a six month old LaMancha dairy goat. (For those who don't know, they are naturally 'earless', we did not cut them off!--just since people always ask.)

[​IMG]

2. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

It was nice of you to share pictures of your flock - I love looking at chicken pictures. [​IMG]

3. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I love your new flock especially the one with the crippled foot. I hope he?she? does great....I am a sucker for the 'under-dog'! I just have my new girls about 3 weeks now and Banana gave me my first egg on Wednesday...good luck

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Nice birds & earless goat!

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Nice flock.

It looks to me that your "EE's" are D'Anvers. Not sure on the white and black hen but the rooster looks to be. He has a single comb instead of a Pea comb. Also, your Leghorn is actually a White Rock. Leghorns do not brood often, tend to have big floppy combs, and have a small body. Unless you tell me she lays white eggs, i'm convinced she is a White Rock [​IMG]

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Thanks for sharing- they are very cute I love their moms colouring.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The white hen does lay white eggs. So, not a Rock. [​IMG] No guarantee she is purebred, so maybe she's some sort of cross. She just looked most like a leghorn to me. I know it's weird that she's broody if she is leghorn...maybe she's just a big white mutt.

As far as the EEs being D'Anvers...I know they are nothing purebred. The lady told me they were half Araucana (or words that sounded similar, she couldn't think of the name) and half bantam, and she's been just letting them breed as they will for several years...so there might be some D'Anver in them, and I'm sure the Araucana was EEs from the feedstore, since that's their original source...and she did not seem to know that there are different breeds of bantam...so they could be anything really. They're pretty small, less than half the size of the white hen. They are HEAVY for their small size too, I am surprised at their weight when I lift them up. Very solid little birds.

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Well as long as you enjoy them [​IMG] which I can tell you do [​IMG]

9. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i love your white hen [​IMG]

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007