Some PIG!

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
There is a wonderful older colored gentleman (80+?) that sells fruits and veggies out of the back of his truck near the corner intersection here. He parks his truck, stobbs up an old restauarant umbrella that has seen better days and takes a seat in his old folding lawn chair.

I met him the first spring here and I tried to cultivate a relationship with him. He is a very kind old man with agenerous heart and TONS of knowledge and know how.

Sometimes his produce is over priced. Sometimes it is trucked up Florida. I always try to buy something from him.

We talk alot about pigs. He has raised a "few" in his lifetime. Last year I wanted piglets but his sow rolled over on them and not too many survived.

Yesterday I stopped and bought the kids a seedless melon ($4) and 2 cantalopes ($1.25). I asked if his sow was going to be dropping piglets any time soon.

"Well, now, I got me one purtyy little pig you might like. He's black and white. He weighs in at about 40 - 60 pounds."

After a few minutes talking we set a time for me to go look at his pig for sale.

"He's a purty lil pig," He said again with a big smile.

Well, I shouldn't have to tell you what an old old old hog lot in the woods looks or smells like.

The pig was pink and black. More black than pink.

I bathed it before we let his stench fill our barn. The kids were very surprised to see his legs were pink and his feet/hooves are white. If that tells you anything at all.

He sure is a purty lil pig!

pig.jpg

My DH says he weighs about 50 lbs. Come September he is off to the butcher.

pig2.jpg

What do you think? $40 for a 50 pound pig?

How fun! You're just getting more and more like the Wilder family, aren't you?!?!
lol.png
I think the price sounds pretty good too.
thumbsup.gif
Congrats on your new pig!
smile.png

Piglets are going for $40-50 here in central NY. That sounds like a good deal. Pretty piggy. Out piglets arrive this week. $40 each.

Congratulations on your new pig!
pig.jpg

I would recommend getting it a friend though. Pigs do better with competition for the food. Of course, I guess that can be said of most animals.

Last edited:
Once he is accustomed to being here he will be turned out in the pasture with the lambs. I am told lambs and pigs do really well together on enough acreage.

I am lucky to get 1 pig. His sow is due to drop piglets soon. Someone has spoken for them. If he gets more than 7 he will sell me 2 more. I have searched high and low and so far this is the first pig I could get my hands on in the last 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom