Some pullets from March not yet laying -?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elight23, Nov 21, 2009.

1. elight23

elight23 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    I purchased 5 female chicks this past early March. My Delaware, RI Red, & Partridge Rock have been laying since August if not July. These three pullets seem about equally high on the pecking order. My Americana and Blue Wyandotte are equally low and have yet to lay a single egg. In my two years of raising chicks, I have never had pullets go as late as 8, almost 9 months without ever laying. Any ideas as to why this might be? It does sound quite abnormal for a March chick to wait until December to lay (or even later) doesn't it - that's about 38 weeks... ?

Could it have something to do with pecking order? I know these pullets are not laying elsewhere, as recently they have been cooped up in the large space that I have for them all day. There are two nests available to the 5 pullets.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    My March birds just started last week. I am starting to hatch this week from some older birds and as soon as these youngsters can show they have some fertiltiy they are going in the bator as well. I will brood in the garage and then go to a pen in the barn that I will have some lights as well. I sort of like the winter hatches.

3. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Some of my March girls are just now starting , my Delaware STILL has not laid .. but she is the smallest [ by far the loudest , but still the smallest .. she just started to squat ] . I have read that ,weight of the bird , and overall health have more to do with onset of lay than age . E.I > RIR need to reach aroung 6-6 1/2 lbs before they can lay , RSL /BSL 's only need to be 4 - 4 1/2 lbs .. lice , mites and illness can also delay the onset . I agree that 8-9 months is an awful long time to waite .. especially if they are pretty much done laying in a few years and figuring in a molt or two .. darn freeloaders ![​IMG]

4. elight23

elight23 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    Bellevue, WA
    My Wyandotte is the largest of all of my birds and the Americana is no runt. They are fed very well, all organic, fresh greens, scratch and spent most of their lives ranging. If these two don't start laying soon I am going to get rid of them... I just don't know if there might be something else going on that I can help.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:We still need to get together one of these days. I am still very much counting on buying some RIR chicks or eggs to hatch from you. I would really like to get going pretty quick here so they are NICE;) by fair!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by