some Q's about blue, splash and bl.copper marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cluckin'Crazy4them, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I am buying some 4 wk straight run blue, black copper, and splash chicks this week. I get to pick them out myself as i reserved first pick. Does anyone have some photos of these chicks? What colors should I be looking for for males vs females at this age? Any other pointers from your knowledge or personal experience I should be looking for?
    Also, is there a difference in color/quantity of eggs between the colors of this breed? ( ex. BLUE VS. SPLASH ). ????
    I could use as much help as I can get at the moment! [​IMG]
    Thanks so much!
    [​IMG]

2. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
  3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    At 4 weeks you might be able to sex the marans. The boys will color copper at the hackles and have larger combs than the girls. The colors will be obvious: the blues, blacks and splashes. I don't think there is a difference in the egg color in conjunction with the feather color, but I don't really know. IF they are a mixed flock of the colors, it's more of who's your mama for the egg color because blue daddy and black mama gives you both genes and a black chick so you don't really know.

You don't want a chick with obvious brown mottling in the chest area. The really bad ones should show this by 4 weeks. Check out the previously mentioned thread for the ideal feathering pattern on the legs, too. Leg feathering you can see from Day 1.
    From what I can read, marans are not yet so defined that they all come out true to type so choose the best you can and work from there to get what you want.
    Depending upon what you want and how many you are buying, I'd pick out the 2 best roos ( one as a spare) and then the best pullets to get to your number. Or only the best looking roo if you are limited.
    Then I have also heard that the best roos don't develop until a year old. That doesn't help you at all!

4. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Thanks for the tips on sexing [​IMG] [​IMG] That link was very helpful. I have never seen such a long forum!?!?! 460 Pages [​IMG] whoa...
    I am very excited to have Marans apart of my flock. Have a beautiful marans roo, I hope he'll like his young girls [​IMG]
    What is mottling? Sorry, new to chickens :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by