some questions about button quail eggs and hatchlings

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xchairity_casex, Feb 6, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Hello i have a few questions ive been looking around to answers for one question ive been contemplating is after button chicks hatch how do you water them without them drowning?? i mean as a kid me and my sister were sloowed to raise 25 chicks from a hardware/feed store in town and the water dish drowned 2 after the first we made the dish shallower but a second drowned then we used a butter dish lid which was constanly being dumped and was near impossable to keep full i heard one person useing a sponge? but i dont know how exactly this would work are they supposed to lick at it? can quail lick??? lol
    and also egg turning ive heard mixed reviews one person told me no more then twice perday another told me every 3 hours and still another told me every half hour diligently dont know if i could turn an egg every half hour at night time i wouldnt get any sleep for 16 days or more.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:What works is a jar lid of water and you put marbles in it. The babies see the marbles and peck at the marbles and they drink the water. Turning 4 times a day is sufficient.

3. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    ohhh what a good idea about the marbles! thanks for answers they are greatly appreciated [​IMG] iim sooo excited about getting my eggs! i am just waiting on the incubator well technichlly im waiting on the money for the incubator (income taxes!) which we will be getting on the eleventh of this month and as soon as we get them im ordering the incubator and as soon as the incubator arrives im ordering the eggs! everything i ehar about buttons makes me love them more and more [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My first ever hatch of Buttons I turned them 3 times a day...the power went out and I lost all of them. The 2nd time I turned them 3 times again and 3/6 hatched. The next time I turned them every few minutes ( by "Few" I mean 30-40 min. ) and all 6 hatched. The more the merrier! lol

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    here is what I use
    [​IMG]

I got some little pebbles from my yard (sifted my garden clean!) and placed it in the lid. I keep a bottle of water close at hand and just refill to top of pebbles every time I check on them.
    after about a week or so I switch to a pop bottle waterer with pebbles in the trough. then a couple weeks more I take the pebbles out when they stop climbing in to drink.

6. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

My first ever hatch of Buttons I turned them 3 times a day...the power went out and I lost all of them. The 2nd time I turned them 3 times again and 3/6 hatched. The next time I turned them every few minutes ( by "Few" I mean 30-40 min. ) and all 6 hatched. The more the merrier! lol

what about at night what do you do? do you get up every few hours to turn the eggs?​

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:what about at night what do you do? do you get up every few hours to turn the eggs?

I didn't turn them at night. That's what is nice about the auto-turners. They're getting turned 24/7.

If you turn them at least 8 times a day, at least then don't worry about turning them at night. I never have. [​IMG]

8. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    ok good since i dont think i could turn them 4 times a night lol though i would if i really had too. i met a women who has a large farm outside of town with dozens of chickens she is going to let me barrow her incubator this week with a bunch of differant eggs as practice! im very excited! i told her if i should happen to fall in love with one of the chicks (considering i dont kill them all:( ) then i may actually buy it from her lol me with a single pet chicken roaming around my basement/bedroom hope my kitties will get along with it lol

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I have been turning emu eggs for 52 days...when it starts wobbling (you cannot candle a emu egg) you know you have done a good job. It's not as exhausting as it seems. More like 5-6 times a day LOL but you get used to it. With button eggs I hand turned them 4 times a day when I started a long time ago and no problems there. Just be quick so no cold air gets in. they get chilled easy.

10. xchairity_casex

Feb 5, 2011
    i really am very very excited! wheni i was a kid (about 10 years old) i had a male female pair of mallrds i had raised from 3 days old they were house pets and i taught them to walk on leads and harnesses when they started laying eggs i wanted to raise one so badly but my mom refused to allow me to get a incubator becuase she said 2 ducks were messing enough so i tried to secretly incubate an egg by carring it in a pouch under my arm lol un fortunatly i never figured out a way to keep it safely warm while i slept so i gave up on the idea after being awake 3 days and 2 nights! my mom wanst too happy after she found out what i was doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by