Some Questions about my Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChooksinIowa, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    OK, I am just in love with my chicken eggs. Every day I compare their shapes and sizes and find it quite fascinating. I am still not sure who lays what.

Here are today and yesterday's eggs. The two blue-green ones are either from Allie or Diana. Allie is some kind of black australorp cross (maybe dark cornish or EE) and Diana is some kind of barred rock cross, but she's brown and white (not black and white) and I kind of suspect the blue eggs are hers. I'll post a pic of both girls here to see if that helps.

The huge brown one (top, 2.25 inches long) is from the other one of Allie or Diana. It's the second one we've had from her and both of them have been double-yolkers. What breed is most known for frequent double yolkers?

The smaller brown one (bottom) came from Henny Penny, my young partridge rock. I know this because I had HP before I got Allie or Diana and HP's eggs have remained the same.

The smallest brownish-cream egg (middle) with the pointy end is from a bantam. Either a bantam black Wyandotte or a bantam Old English Game silver duckwing. Any guesses on which one?

Thanks for any help!
    Claire
    [​IMG]

2. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    Here's Allie, who laid either the really big brown egg or the blue eggs....
    [​IMG]

And here's Diana, who laid whichever one Allie didn't lay...

[​IMG]

And if anyone has ideas on their breeds, let me know. Best of my knowledge is that Allie is either a black Australorp-Dark Cornish cross, and Diana is some kind of barred rock cross. But Diana's barring is chocolate brown, not black. And one of them is laying blue eggs.

Very intriguing...

Claire

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Very cool blue eggs - congrats!!! Only our black sex link and every now and then our RIR will lay double yolkers. But never blue eggs!!!

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    nice eggs wish i could help u figure it out but u almost surely have some easter egger crosses there i put in a camera to find out who was laying what hahaha good luck [​IMG]

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    We've discovered that all our extra large brown eggs are ALL double yolkers!!! We've had a few so far, and one was perfect inside with BOTH yolks fertilized. I wonder how hard it would be to hatch a double??? Don't know if it's possible, but with the size of these eggs I would think so.....LOL!!! Good luck, and hope u figure out who lays what cause I ain't even gotten that far yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by