some questions about new muscovy drake...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gumbii, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i was looking for younger ducks, but i found a gorgeous muscovy at this one feedstore i've never been too... fell in love with him, and took him home...

anyways... when i saw him in the cage, he would bob his head back and forth wile hissing or like... it sounds like he's panting or something...... no quacking or anything... do they quack...? so i took him home, he's in a 10'x5'x5'x pen i built for some cochins... but there are no cochins in there yet... here are my questions....

•is the panting noise normal, or is he mad at me...? i pet him, but he bites my arms and fingers pretty hard... he bit me in the finger and took a layer of skin off...
    •he nibbles on my shoes and pants, but pretty hard... is he trying to kill me...?
    •will he kill my cochins when i throw them into the pen that he's been living in first...?
    •is he ever going to be friendly...? or is that normal...? i threw him in the pen with my OEGB's at first, but they were all sleeping... they really didn't do anything... tomorrow i'll throw in some silkies and see if he's friendly and such...

last question... did i make a mistake by buying him...? i wanted a friendly caring pet duck... is he gonna keep biting, or do i have to feed him a bunch of meal worms first...? LOL...

thanks in advance... i ♥ BYC...

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    1 muscovy's do not quack or squeak like regular ducks, hissing is what they do, they have a crest that looks like a mohawk when they get irritated. he looking for a friend...it will be hard to say what he will do to chickens, my 'scovies ignore all my chickens. but i had a 'scovy drake that would 'rape' all the ducks (non-'scovy) he could catch, including the drakes, he went in to the stock pot. you might want to get a hen. He's probably biting because he doesn't know you.
    to bad you are not closer to WI I have quite a few spare 'scovy hens

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i was gonna get call ducks, but they are loud... that's good to know about scovy's... i figured that he is just getting to know me... he was sweet in the cage at the feed store...

and i can't seem to find muscovy hens around here... to be honest, this is the first 'scovy i have seen for sale... i might have to get one shipped or something... but for sure i'm going to buy some hatching eggs when the time comes... i would want to raise some from ducklings...

any more info would be greatly appreciated...

thanks BCC!...

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Country Hatchery will have colored muscovies in the spring. We love our 'scovies. Ours came from him . Order you some and I bet you won't be sorry.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    one thing unless your 'scovy is pinioned, he can fly, and fly very well, they will roost in trees too.

6. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:NO WAY!!!...

BRB...

7. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Neither of my drakes have done very well in the flying department. They are just too big. The girls are another story all together.

8. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    this dude hasn't attempted to fly or anything...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaannndd!!!!!!!!!!...

i just saw an ad on craigslist for muscovys... they're 20 bucks though... i might have to bust a trip to get a hen then... they also have day old chicks for 8 bucks... i dunno what to do...

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    my drake will fly to the top of the barn, 20 for an adult, and 8 for a 'ling are about average around here, the advantage of an adult is you will get a hen

[​IMG]

the hens also hatch large amout of 'lings, these 2 hatched 30 in 1 nest together, they raised them all themselves

love my 'scovies

10. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i'll go this weekend for sure... i'm not gonna find them anywhere else...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by