1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some questions about quarantining new flock members!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nunie, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Nunie

Nunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    I have read a lot of information on how to introduce new birds to your established flock. Most of the articles and posts I've read seem aimed more at introducing and quarantining new pullets before adding them to the flock.

My questions are: If you have an established flock, then you get some day old chicks and raise them in a brooder for over a month, do you still then need to quarantine them from your established flock for a month before you introduce them fully? Or can the introduction start right away since they've already been around for a month or so and separated from the established flock?

Second question is about roosters: Lets say I have a flock of hens to begin with, and roosters are allowed in my area but I do not get one. If I change my mind later and decide to add a young or adult rooster to my flock, are the rules for introduction different than adding a new pullet? If I got a young roo or an adult, I'd obviously quarantine it for a month, just like with adding any other new adult or partially grown bird.

Thank you in advance for answering!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi,

Re: chicks - no, just follow the introductory look and no touch stuff you have read about.
    Re: Roo - after quarantine, you can keep him in closed in the main coop for a while - I usually give it two nights in a mini-coop (so he knows where to go on a night time) and let him out with the rest of the flock. If he's young, he will get put in his place and remain there until he shows some grown up manners, but if he is mature it will not take long before he woos his way into your girls' hearts.

All the best
    CT

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken999

Chicken999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    Chick question: X2, day old chicks do not need quarantine, any sickness in the chicks will arise before they are ready to go in the coop

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. Nunie

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    Thank you! I kinda figured it'd be like that, but better to be safe and confirm what I thought! Thanks again for the answers!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are more than welcome - its always good to double check things - I do it all the time.

CT

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    One good thing to do for the chicks is to add a little chunk of sod every couple days from an area where your main flock runs.
    They will have a ball scratching it up and pecking it and it will expose them slowly to help build immunity to the organisms that exist within the flock.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nunie

Jan 26, 2016
    Sweden (for now!)
    That sounds like a great idea! Thank you :)

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by