1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

some questions on defense for a coop. (mainly electrical fencing)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by itsasmallfarm, May 1, 2017.

1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello everyone,

right now we are in the process of building a second coop (right beside are old one) for ducks and geese. (and some chickens dividing the building in half). but this is the problem and what we have going right now.

we use hard ware cloth for the run (its covered) for the raccoons, coyotes etc.. but every summer we go away meaning that the birds might not be checked on for at least 3 days max (we have the food and water set up for this) so should we look at investing in some electrical fencing for the coops?

these are some of the common predators we have
    raccoons
    coyotes
    weasels
    and lots of them
    then we have some uncommon predators which we have seen (or heard and seen tracks) over the years
    bears,
    cougars
    wild pigs/hogs
    bobcats
    lynx.
    fox
    wolf

but am worried that some of these uncommon predators could come around in the summer and try to get are chickens and ducks. so would electrical fencing be a good option?

thanks itsasmallfarm out.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    It wouldn't hurt to have a electric fence.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I can't tell where you are posting from but there is a huge difference between most of the predators that you mentioned and cougars, bears, and wolves.

Electrical fencing is a wise investment for any chicken owner.

The main difference between common predators and uncommon predators is the level of slyness or shyness exhibited.

Just because you don't have predators like bobcats asking you for a light doesn't mean that there are none of them out there.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Electic will stop all those predators excepting weasels. They are a tough one. Best defence for them is hardware cloth on all openings of coop and lock coop at night every night.

5. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    Saskatchewan Canada am from, we have lots of predators where i live. but have to agree with you there could be lots of the uncommon ones out there just don't see or hear them/signs of them.

Last edited: May 1, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by