Some questions on hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MelissaRose, Apr 15, 2018.

1. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Hello! I just joined today!:frow

I am incubating 18 chicken eggs. I put them in lock down on the 18th day,all were alive.On the 21st day in the afternoon two pipped,one hatched at 3 a.m. the next morning, the other one had made some progress,but not much. BY noon it had pipped halfway around and stopped making progress. in the afternoon it was the same, it was all dried and stuck to it's shell,it was taken out of its shell.why was it stuck to its shell?.:idunno:confused:

Its the 22nd day and only four have hatched. they are ADORABLE!:jumpy,but I don't know why the others haven't:confused: two of them had belly-button problems one was worse than the other,it's umbilical cord was attached to a weird whitish thing so we snipped it of (we left a third of an inch) and sprayed blue-coat on it.
    Any ideas on why their hatching late with not fully healed navels?

2. happychickies101

happychickies101 Chirping

Dec 29, 2017
    For the dried chick, that pipped halfway, the reason it didn’t make it was probably because your humidity was too low. With low humidity, the chicks can dry out and the egg can tighten so the others don’t make it either. Ye humidity has to be 65%-75%. The reason it was stuck to the shell was because it wasn’t turned enough or wasn’t turned at all. When that happens the embryo sticks to one side of the shell :( the belly button thing is common and should be left to come off itself.

3. happychickies101

Dec 29, 2017
    Im sorry this happened, hatching chicks could be a joyful, beautiful thing:)but can also be stressful :(

4. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure that the humidity was 65-70 most of the time, but my humidistat
    might be faulty. I'm pretty sure the chick with belly button problem will be okay. It is acting perfectly normal :yesss: it is silver or "blue" and has long feathers!

It's so nice to get a reply so soon!:)
    shutting down now.

5. happychickies101

Dec 29, 2017
    What I definitely recommend is having a couple extra humidity gauges and thermometer in there!

6. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    Okay, I'm thinking that the reason that chick got so dried out was that it was taking it's time to hatch (24hours) and the incubator is forced air and so air moving over the crack dried it out.
    There has been no other pips so far though.:(

7. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK
    Hi and welcome! :frow
    I think the problem you had with your hatch will be down to humidity or temperature, or a combination of the two. Like happychickies said, it's always a good idea to have extra gauges rather than rely on you incubator's ones alone. Also it is important to calibrate them. I was going to include some links but it would probably be just as easy for you to just search for 'calibrating' when the time comes, than try to find this post again in the future.
    Where were the eggs from?
    Have you had any other pips yet?

8. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    The eggs are mostly from my chickens but there are four from a friend who lives nearby
    they are golden wyandott, white rocks/golden wyandott, golden wyandott/ americauna,
    and barred rock or buff/americauna.

Another one hatched and one pipped and there was some blood and it just kept poking its beak up through the same hole and peeping I chipped away a little for it after about four and a half hours and I keep wetting it. now its turned to start zipping but it isn't; any ideas on what I could do to help it?

Emmaxx likes this.
  9. MelissaRose

MelissaRose Songster

Apr 15, 2018
    Maine
    It's turning the whole way around but not cutting the shell, please help

10. Emmaxx

Emmaxx Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    UK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: