Some questions on rooster and coop doors

bellanonna

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Prineville, Oregon
We ordered female chicks, and as will happen even paying extra does not guarantee anything. "Ellen" as he was originally named has crowed his first time today! We don't have a problem keeping him, he is a beautiful RR. However, we have 21 hens (expecting it was going to be 22 without a rooster). So is there are safety issue for his trying to service (his choice, lol, not mine) these hens? If he will be okay, we will leave it as is. If not, how do we introduce another rooster later without their killing each other? what would be a good 'match' breed if we didn't choose RR? We have Black Australorp, RR and BR hens.

The coop door question is around whether to close it for the health of the birds. There is no safety issue with or without the door being closed. If anything got through the metal fabric that lines the run out and up around the outside to the roof or the metal fabric ramp enclosure, then the door isn't going to keep them out either, lol, and at this point we leave it open and they come and go at will from the coop to the run. We have cold hardy birds and it doesn't get into the teens for long periods of time here and infrequently at best. Is it okay to leave the door open or should be close it nightly?

Thanks,
Bella
frow.gif

PS I really don't care either way whether we have chicks in the future, either way is fine with us, so an inability on his part to keep up is fine. It is only if he would have some 'need' to feel he has to that would make him keel over , lol, no more comments or I will be banned from the thread, I'm sure!

Last edited:
My rooster was a RR too and he had 20 hens of his own. I think your roo wil be ok!
big_smile.png
I would not suggest bringing a new roo in with him because almost every rooster will have fights with the new one. But as far as the rooster issue i think he will be fine!

With that many hens, you will just have a lower fertility rate. If you raise a cockerel from hatch where it grows up around the roo, things usually are less aggressive. Until the young cockerel challenges for the top spot. If you think you need a second roo, you could get a very docile breed like Favarolles, Orpingtons, and Brahmas. Hope this helps

He'll be the happiest rooster around!

But he won't have a heart attack or anything.

I have no way to close the coop from the run, so I'm going to say it's okay to leave it open. I like the airflow and I never have to worry about opening or closing a door. I'm all about the easiest way on me.

My rooster was a RR too and he had 20 hens of his own. I think your roo wil be ok!
big_smile.png
I would not suggest bringing a new roo in with him because almost every rooster will have fights with the new one. But as far as the rooster issue i think he will be fine!
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing, but I needed to hear from the 'eggsperts'!
clap.gif

With that many hens, you will just have a lower fertility rate. If you raise a cockerel from hatch where it grows up around the roo, things usually are less aggressive. Until the young cockerel challenges for the top spot. If you think you need a second roo, you could get a very docile breed like Favarolles, Orpingtons, and Brahmas. Hope this helps
It helped very much! Thanks

He'll be the happiest rooster around!

But he won't have a heart attack or anything.

I have no way to close the coop from the run, so I'm going to say it's okay to leave it open. I like the airflow and I never have to worry about opening or closing a door. I'm all about the easiest way on me.
I BET! LOL I'm glad he won't have a heart attack, but we may have some chicks. . .or not.

I'm with you on the 'easy' part!

Back
Top Bottom