??? Some questions regarding Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GOSPELSOLDIER, May 31, 2010.

1. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    Ok i had 3 very game birds. Neighbors new Pit bull Somehow managed to get to my yard and killed all 3 roosters. But i had the eggs that came from them and my hens stored so that when i got 40 i can try my first big hatch. My self made incubator works. But the first eggs are from like 3weeks or almost a momth ago.
    are all those eggs good to try hatching even tho they sat there so long?

or should i just trow them out. i mean most are like from 3 to a month ago.?

thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    If stored properly. They could possibly still hatch. But you know what? They didn't cost you anything, toss them in and give it a try. As long as they don't start to smell, your good to go. But candle on day 8 or 10. If you don't see any veining., get rid of them immediately.

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Since they didn't cost you anything you might as well give it a try. I have heard of people get older eggs like that to hatch
    so what they heck.....
    Go for it!!
    Good luck!!

4. GOSPELSOLDIER

GOSPELSOLDIER Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    new britain
    Thanks for the advice...

5. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I checked out your website! Beautiful stone work. I love it, maybe one day I will have that done in my yard!!

6. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    If your hens have been with them up til now, they should still lay fertile eggs for a while. You might want to incubate the next weeks eggs or so. dak

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by