Some Random Snail Pictures!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know, strange pets to keep! But I do like them!

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Wow your pictures turned out great!
    And why do you have snails? [​IMG]

3. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Pass me the lemon butter, those would go great with my sunday roasted chicken![​IMG]

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I love apple snails. I used to have a couple of really huge ones in an aquarium. I hate it though when they just up and die for no reason. [​IMG]

5. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Hey!!! I had one of those, and then one day it died!! Couldn't figure out why! It was in with my guppies. I loved him. So they do this then? Just die? I wondered if I did something wrong.

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm sure there's some underlying cause for it, but I could just never figure it out. I think it has to do with the pH being too low. Acidic water is bad for them because it dissolves their shells.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually, it's funny you mention them dying. After I changed the water two weeks ago, I noticed one wasn't moving. I wasn't sure that it was dead though. Then I finally realized it hadn't moved at all in two days, so I took it out and then ANOTHER died! I have a feeling it died because I didn't take the other one out right away. I was so sad! I feed them algae wafers twice a week and they gobble them up. I also change the water VERY often because it's a smaller tank. I just don't know what happened. Now I keep checking on them very often to make sure no others are dying on me! I'm down to five now. unfortunately I lost my blue and a dark purple :-(. Now I'm just waiting for them to breed!

8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Escargot ,

I did some research on Apple snails becuase I didnt know what they were interesting facts:

These snails will "play dead" on occasion (especially when first introduced to a new tank, probably from the stress of moving from one habitat to another), even for several days, but once the snail is acclimated it will become a surprisingly active (albeit slow motion) participant in the community tank.

Nevertheless, apple snails are considered a delicacy in several regions of the world, and they are often sold in East and Pacific Asian markets for consumption.

Unfortunately, many species have a great appetite for aquatic vegetation and algae are not their preferred food. In such cases these scavengers can reduce the aquatic vegetation very quickly. They can ruin a beautiful aquarium within days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by