Some recent Horse pictures

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just figured I would share a couple horse pictures with ya'll. The brown one is Stetson who is my horse. The other one is my dad's named Sonny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    [​IMG] what a peaceful set of pictures.

(fyi: If that white spot on the chestnut's (brown) withers (shoulders) is new or getting any bigger I would check the fit of the saddle)

3. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    How pretty!!!!!!!

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Very Pretty!

5. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    nice pics...i agree with the comment about the white spot...could be a sign of an old or new misfitting saddle. Is the palomino older? Dont take offense and maybe its just the pics but he looks a little underweight. Perhaps its worming time again?

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Thanks for sharing! They look like kind souls and good buddies!

I love the last shot with the sun shining in...

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys!

The white spot is actually getting much smaller. We bought this horse from people who got them from ranches in Mexico. They were often ridden up to 12 hours in a day with sometimes very poorly fitting saddles. Very well trained horses, but it definitely took him a long time to realize we are a loving home, not just a working home. The vet says he's about 6 years old and he's known nothing but constant work for several years. I know ride him with a thick saddle pad and a newer billy cook saddle. The problem with ranch horses is that they choose horses with high withers to keep the saddle from sliding. Many saddles on the market today have low trees because a lot of american horses have wider backs. Billy Cook and one other brand are made with taller trees, but they sure are expensive and HEAVY! When I have the money (or for Christmas) I plan to purchase a synthetic saddle to use for every day use.

The Palomino is an older horse. We don't have papers on him, so we don't know exactly how old, but the vet thinks anywhere from 20 to 25 years old. He's still in excellent shape considering his age. We've had him since he was about 15. He's always been a skinny horse and they are wormed regularly. We've asked the vet and he says it's not a problem because he is older and he is eating the right food. It also seems to happen during certain times of the year. During the summer he is not so skinny.

Just like with people, horses have different metabolisms as well. Stetson is much more muscular than sonny, and even with added fats (oil, etc.) to Sonny's diet, he still just metabolizes things at such a fat rate.

So far Stetson has turned out to be a pretty good horse. My dream horse is still a small draft though!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  8. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Look into older (like 15 year old) Big Horn western saddles. I purchased mine (a show pleasure type) about that long ago for my TB horses, who are very high withered. Altho I don't ride western much...I have liked this saddle a lot. On many horses, it has never rubbed one and has fit every horse it's been on.

9. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The billy cook saddle fits him really well and it's a beautiful saddle that someone practically gave us, but it's just too heavy for me to lift (i'm pretty short). Its wonderful if I was to ever get back into showing, but for trails and what not I need a saddle that I can actually lift without help! LOL. Problem with synthetics is they have small trees, rather than taller ones.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  10. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    A HA I can fix that one, too.

If you can afford one, get a Wintec western synth saddle. My parents bought these because A)they're light and B) it's a lazy man's saddle in the way of care.

If you can't and have to get a regular synth - use a built up/cut back saddle pad. (they have a u-shaped cut out over the withers)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by