Some sad looking polish, I think?

brandibaby23

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
New Paris, Pa 15554
So I been looking around to find some polish dears, and finally found some within driving distance. I was told they are 6 months old, and that there was 3 hens and 2 roos, and that they needed some TLC! And was also told that while moving them one of the hens got her leg stuck and was injured. He wanted 40 dollars for all 5. I got there and holy cow TLC was right. I ended up paying 35 dollars for all 5 because they needed a new home. What I got was 4 roos and one hen with possibly a broken leg! I brought them home last night and bathed them all. They are really skinny, can see breast bone when they stand. No scaly legs, The hen won't walk and her leg is swollen. Its warm and doesn't "look" mangled or anything. I was a veterinary Technician for about 5 years, but I never dealt with chickens. I am just gonna let her rest for a few days and see if it gets any better. They are all eating and drinking, poo is normal, no sneezing or drainage from anywhere. Is there anything to give them to help them along to getting them prettier, healthier, and fatter? Last night I gave them a mix of cracked corn, layer crumbles, and complete ration. Is there a good vitamin supplement for chickens? Also their toes seem funny to me, the back fourth toe on all of them but one points toward the front, like they've never roosted before, or couldn't I seem at there old home all the chickens were kept in wire cages with wire bottoms could that cause their feet to be this way. I will get a picture if anyone doesn't understand what I mean.

Here are some pics......

42887_chickens_033.jpg

42887_chickens_030.jpg

Last edited:
if im right could be wrong since i dont have anypolish yet getting them in mail tomorrow.....somebody lied to you and there is not a single hen in that pic

Here is a better picture of the hen, she was way down on the bottom of the last picture. You can see here foot swelled up a little in this picture. After I saw the chickens I knew they where worth no money but I took them anyway so I could give them some TLC.

42887_chickens_044.jpg

Was supposed to be 3 hens 2 roos. BUt I got 4 roos 1 hen lol some people!!
hu.gif
but they will be happier with me anyway.

So any tips on how to get them back to TIP TOP shape???? IS this what a polish is supposed to look like, I never had any polish before I been looking around at polish and I have seen some really nice looking birds. I was told these guys where sent as eggs from mcmurray hatchery last June hatched late July.

Deworm them, this will help them absorb more nutrients. I have used Wazine in the drinking water (piperazine-17). This works for roundworms (they can have more than 1 kind of roundworm). I was also told I could use Ivermectin (injectable) but I don't think I would be able to hold them well enough to get a SQ injection done at the same time. Also, jefferslivestock.com has a few vitamin supplements that work well. I have personally used the "avian super pack" and 1 packet is A LOT as it is diluted quite a bit. I have also fed suet (from TSC) for birds and they love it...no need for the suet box if you are trying to fatten them up.
As far as the leg problem, IDK, another technician who was never taught 1 thing about chickens. I have run into some ortho sites, but not much help. I also have seen on this message board some topics on leg problems, see if you find anything good. Broken toes can heal on their own, look terrible, but the chicken lives. There are also doses for asprin on this board.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279467 has a dose for asprin and follow the links you might find how this members roo with a broken leg turned out. Search around, but don't forget that you should look online to find your local poultry extension office, they can get you in contact with a poultry vet or atleast someone with more knowledge. In my area there are no vets that see poultry, but I have Cornell University not too far and was able to talk to a vet there about deworming. He gave me some great advice on deworming that I much needed. And he said that whenever a sick chicken comes to the clinic they ALWAYS deworm it 1st. Good Luck!

OK I got worming them and gave her aspirin already. Any other tips I know I saw other things on here before, such as supplements and feed. I seen the sling just can't decide on that one. lol looks like a good idea. Please any comments or suggestions to get these bird on the right track will be appreciated.

they look like houdans.
very nice birds.
Id dust em for mites and worm them slowly because if they have alot of worms the dieoff can make them sick...use wazine first and then a week later use eprinex pour on or ivomec injectable...then a week or two later try wormazole, if you want to cover your bases. You can search it here and see; people tend to use cayenne pepper to start and then wazine and on from there...it allows a gradual die off of worms.
Watch their poo for worms and blood. If you see any blood use corrid in the water as directed. Its great anti cocci that is gentle on them.
Give them fresh veggies and scraps of healthy foods, and get some avia charge or the like vitamins. I also like kickin' chicken oil.
They are lucky you took them.
if there are too many roos you may be able to sell a couiple on eggbid because they are so nice. I dont see many houdans around. Ive only been sucessful in hatching one...and she is a doll!

The leg...well you could wrap it with vet wrap and check it every day....if it seems broken you can put a popsicle stick or part of one on each side and vet wrap (not too tight) just to give it support and see if that feels better for her. but check it every day to make sure its not worse and straining against the vet wrap.
if you can afford a vet to xray it, you could do that...if it continues to be warm and swollen you may want to put her on antibiotics, in case its infection.
you can use the chicken antibiotics in the packet for their water or something like tylan 50 injection, if youre OK with that.
Randall Burkey has meds...Tylan is a particular favorite of mine. They also have a dosage chart with a list of the different meds.

Lucky birds!

I just ordered 25 polish and houdan from mcmurray to be delivered at the end of Feb. They have day olds available sooner than that too...so if you really want some fantastic polish, you can pick and choose from mcmurray. The thing is that you need to get 25. I wanted houdans especially and they were selling out so I put an order in....
I am insane...25 more chickens!!

good luck with your new babies....hope they fatten up quickly.

Back
Top Bottom