Some semi good news.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kerjack, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Kerjack

Kerjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I've been getting an egg a day from all 8 of my hens for the past week or so, so I decided I would advertise my eggs to see if I could sell any.

Well I have one person who replied almost right away. Yay!

But! He wanted 10 dozen. I don't have that many at the moment. Now he wants 5 dozen/week. Which is exciting. But if you do the math, my pullets don't produce that much. And even if I did end up somehow getting that much a week I wouldn't have enough for myself.

I feel bad having to turn him down. But what can I do? The boyfriend suggested more hens, which I would be incredibly happy doing. Only no one is selling POL hens near me!

Arg... I'm upset now.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    What a bummer.

I see major flock expansion in your future.[​IMG]

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    You never know...I just GAVE AWAY ten dozen as I had no responses to my ads! Plus a large sign at the mailbox! I didn't want them to ruin!

4. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Don't get too excited. People sometimes come and go ... about the time you have 10 dozen a week, they don't want them anymore and then you have to find new customers. Sell as much as you have extra for the time being. If you get regular customers, then you can increase your hens, if you see that it would be profitable.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    While some folks can & do make a profit selling eggs from their backyard flocks it certainly requires a lot more effort & expense than you're already spending on the 8 hens you have now. Right now you have time to devote to each one individually, their feed bill is low, their housing needs not too demanding. You're getting 4-4.5 dozen eggs a week. How many does your family use, how many more would you like to have to give as gifts/tips? How many does that leave for sale?

How much are you selling your eggs per dozen?

You'd need 20-24 hens to lay 10 dozen a week. Do you have room in your coops for that many more or would you have to expand? They'd eat perhaps 30-40 pounds of feed a week. Even during weeks when they're molting & aging and laying less. You'd have more chicken chores & less time to devote individually to your birds.

Who is this person who wants 10 dozen eggs a week? What does he want them for? I wouldn't be too hasty to expand the flock just to meet his request unless you know for certain that his business is reliable. If you really think you want to get into the backyard egg business take the time to carefully count the costs. There's a good reason that most eggs sold commercially are produced in bulk, it's difficult otherwise to make the business pay.

Otherwise, keep your flock to a number small enough to enjoy and produce eggs for your personal needs. Perhaps you could occasionally use the extra eggs to barter for other goods/services as needed, instead of trying to sell them for cash.

6. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    If you only have 8 hens, and not everyone lays every day, isn't that just about the right number for your own use? Just asking- I am getting 4 or so a day from 12 hens, molt here, and still have to buy eggs, but there are 4 of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by