Some serious pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMama18, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ChickenMama18

ChickenMama18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Hi everyone, I am a newbie here and am having a problem with one of our chicks. We have nine, three bantams and six regular sized. They are about a month old or so. Yesterday I noticed that the americauna had a broken tail feather, and it was a blood feather and bleeding. The other chicks were pecking it. So.....I put some blue kote on it. This morning it was bleeding again...more blue kote. This afternoon I noticed it's much worse, and the chicks are pecking it constantly and it looks like they've pulled out a bunch of his tail feathers. Poor guy. I have to go back to work. So I put more blue kote on him...put him in a rat cage that we have with water...and then put that in the chicken run. He was not happy being confined and not able to run with his friends. But...I also didn't want to seperate him completely so they all still remained bonded. He was scared alone and calling for his friends.

Sigh...I have a feeling there is no easy answer here but what can I do to help this situation? I was thinking I could get some quik stop (that you use on dogs if you accidently hit the quik) to stop the bleeding and then maybe put blue kote on top so the yellow wouldn't be attractive to the other birds. Not sure what to do. Is quik stop toxic to chickens? I'm hoping he won't have to be seperate for a long time...but he also needs to heal and they are pecking him like crazy.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    It sounds like you are doing the right thing. What is it about the poor americaunas? I have 5 EE's and 3 are constantly being pecked. I had to separate the one for a few days. I used blue kote and also pine tar. The stuff is really nasty, but the birds left her alone then, and she was able to heal.

3. ChickenMama18

ChickenMama18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Pine tar huh? I'll have to see how she does and try that if it doesn't work! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by