1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Some skin irratation/feather loss PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mhoward92, Apr 30, 2008.

1. mhoward92

mhoward92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2007
    Well i have been noticing that my hens are starting to have bald patches on their back. (in the center right before their tailfeathers begin and were their wing feathers "V-off" It does not look really irratated but very dry and almost scaley looking. the feathers are obviously gone too in that area. at first i thought it was a but in the coop but its only happening on my Araucanas... I don't see them picking at it when im watching but it proceeds to get worse daily. I know its not major (at least at this point) but i know if not treated it can get nasty. What would you treat it with??? Its too late to go take pictures...ill take some tomorrow and post them im sure you all will know what it is exactly then. but any ideas/comments would help me out.

Thanks in advance

Mitch

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a roo? Sometimes, I'll have one of my hens get a bad area from the roo, especially on my smaller girls, my EE, and my smaller mutt hens.

Em

3. mhoward92

Oct 5, 2007
    Do you have a roo? Sometimes, I'll have one of my hens get a bad area from the roo, especially on my smaller girls, my EE, and my smaller mutt hens.

I do not have a roo​

4. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, it could be a lot of things.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. [​IMG]
    Good luck-
    Em

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Lice maybe since you don't have a roo? Moulting if there are pin feathers? Try chicken saddles?

6. mhoward92

Oct 5, 2007
    Hmm. i wouldent say moulting they are only 2.5 months old. I think pictures would help alot. I thought maybe it was lice at first but its only happening on the Araucanas.

7. silkiechicken

My guess would be picking then. Are they at the bottom of the order by any chance? Maybe upping protein and a handful of black oil sunflower seeds may help?

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you want to try chicken saddles follow the link in my sig for patterns of sew and no sew types. Usually they are used for feather loss due to a roo but, they may help stop the picking or they may end up picking them off elsewhere.

Good luck!

9. barjd6

barjd6 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Quote:We just really started with our chickens, but today, when we gave them some black sunflower seeds that we keep for the cardinals, they were just crazy about them. I don't know what the seeds will do for the bald chicken, but they are like cats with catnip over sunflower seeds. A good way to make friends, clearly.

10. silkiechicken

The black oil sunflower seeds contain methionine which is one of they key components in feather growth. So upping protein and methionine = an attempt to get them to stop picking out feathers and eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by