Some skinny some normal ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6chicks&aduck, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    was handleing my birds today and noticed a few are very thin ,
    and others are normal weight . Would this be worms ? im coerned about the thin ones keeping warm this time of year
    Thanks for your input !

2. DoloresRun

DoloresRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    I am not sure about your issue but I also seem to be having the same problem with one of my birds! She has been sickly looking for the past couple of days and yesterday I noticed that she had worms in her poop!

I am going today (because of course when I saw them worms it was 5pm and everything is closed) to get worm treatment for the birds. I hope it isn't going to be fatal for her. She was my favourite little Barny [​IMG] She does eat though, only a little. Yesterday when I went out to give them a treat she ate it along with the other two so I am hoping all will be ok!

I would suggest that you check their poo for worms! The ones I saw are long and skinny and white. Not many of them in the one poo but, who knows what is inside of her.

There is a thread on here about poop and how to recognise when they are ok and when they are sick.

Hope they do better!

Dolores

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Just a couple of things come to mind with underweight chickens.......One of course is worms, and you've already mentioned that, but one other thing you want to remember, with this cold weather, is to supply grit to your chickens. When it's super cold, and mine are cooped inside, they don't have access to the natural grit they find on their own as they free range. So in order to digest their food properly, they will need grit. They can actually starve to death without it.

Another thing is just making sure the thinner ones get access to the feed. It may just be a simple issue with bullying.

Hope they fatten up for you!

4. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    i have checked thier poop and no visible sign of worms , i dont have a local chicken vet to take a sample too . I give them the cherry stone grit, always available . havent noticed much bullying they all get along pretty good , its a few of the hens i got back in sept. they were plump when i got them , they are all acting normal , active , and eating/ drinking well , water is on a heater .

5. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Anyone else have any suggestions ?

6. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I just posted a similiar thread, I have one that eats like a horse but very thin. today she is a bit lethargic, getting wormer tomorrow hoping thats it.

7. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    Quote:we just love our min pin , do your raise them also ?

8. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    i saw on here to try cayenne pepper so im gonna pick some up id rather try that first before a chemical wormer .
    it says to mix itr in the feed till it looks rusty , and feed for one day , and then repeat in 10 days good luck w yours ,i will let you know how it works for me [​IMG]

9. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    6chicks&aduck :

Quote:we just love our min pin , do your raise them also ?

Yes I show them. They are not the most popular dog out there but I love em. Mine would murder my chickens though lol fenced yard!!​

10. 6chicks&aduck

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    yes our would to if she could get to them lol , fenced yard also, Do you have website of your dogs?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by