Some tough love

Ankhdad

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Thunder Bay, ON
I posted this as a reply earlier, but thought it needed it's own post...
I have 11 wonderful looking 4 week old gals. Almost all are looking 'zipped' up.
I have them in a large watermelon container in the garage. I have a heat lamp with a dimmer switch which I have on in the evenings which is holding at 25 deg C (about 80 F). I also have the regular light from the garage on.
The other night, I turned off the garage light by mistake and went to bed, around 0100 am. When I came to check on them at 730, some were still sleeping, some were walking around. I was very surprised how calm they were.
Now I tried this again a couple nights later, and when I turned out the regular light, but kept the infra-red heat light on...no chirping...turned off the heat lamp and they all began to 'sing'!
The garage is insulated and holds it's heat very well. My coop (being build right now) is also going to be insulated -freaking cold up here in NW Ontario.
Are we talking about some tough love here, and just let them chirp which will get them ready for the real world?

Keith

Sounds like confused instincts, they've identified the heat source as a mother of sorts. They will of course get used to it but I wouldn't make them go 'cold turkey', I'd give them alternated periods without heat, provided the ambient temperature is sufficient as well as their feathering.

Best wishes.

Sounds like confused instincts, they've identified the heat source as a mother of sorts. They will of course get used to it but I wouldn't make them go 'cold turkey', I'd give them alternated periods without heat, provided the ambient temperature is sufficient as well as their feathering.

Best wishes.
x2

Back
Top Bottom