Some treated for Marek's, some not

Muffinburgler

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Watsonville, CA
I'm getting some chicks from Ideal this week who will have the Marek's vaccine. The rest of my flock has never been treated for it. I heard something in passing that you can't put vaccinated chickens with non-vaccinated, because then the others will catch Marek's from them, but then right after that I heard that that was just a silly old wive's tale.

Soo which is true? Will my old flock members be safe or not? If not, could I treat them so everyone can live together without any trouble?

This vaccine is designed to prevent the tumors that infected birds get, often the cause of death. Vaccinated chicks need about three weeks away from the older birds so that they have time to build up their immunity; the vaccine isn't protective until then. I've got both vaccinated and unvaccinated birds; in fact often have gotten chicks with and without at the same time. No problems with that. Because of my paranoia about disease transmission, and some good luck, so far no Marek's disease here! Mary

If you vaccinate some chickens and leave others non-vaccinated, the chickens who are vaccinated will shed off the disease and give it to the ones who are not vaccinated.

I've had chickens for over twenty years; vaccinated chicks and unvaccinated both. So far no Marek's disease here, and I necropsy EVERY bird that dies, unless it's a predator attack. Mary

Back
Top Bottom