Some unwanted visitors possibly looking for food in my yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Pinky, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Oh,no,yesterday I woke up to the very loud sound of my neighbor's guineas at the edge of my fence(They like to forage in the dead leaves).I went to see what the noise was about and one of the guineas was sitting on my fence,screaming it's head off as the others took off when I was seen.All of my chickens were being real quiet.Then the guinea suddenly went still and I heard a noise in one of my trees.I looked up and seen a little kestrel.I knew it was too small to do any harm to my chickens,so I started to go in the run to feed them when the kestrel takes off and a big hawk comes flying out of the trees and away from my yard.The guinea on the fence was so scared it ran to my chickens,even though the guineas nver came that close to me before.Now everyone is screaming and continues for nearly a hour.
    Today,when I was going to school,I hear an owl.It sounded like it was really close to my yard,but I didn't hear my chickens.AsI was coming back home,I see another hawk(Possibly the same one) being persued by mockingbirds.Im glad they were chasing it away from my place an not to it.That was too many predators in two days for me.Thankfully no birds were killed and my white leghorn rooster was daring the hawks to challenge him.I hope I don't have any bad run ins with these raptors.Im hoping they are just migrating [​IMG]

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's an awful lot of possible trouble in a short while. You might want to keep your birds under cover for a few days and see if the preds leave to look for greener pastures.
    JJ

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The only hawk we have had here is a coopers. Which my w leghorn roo chases off regularly, but I have seen the Red-Tails around more often. Almost time for to start their spring brood.

4. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I hope the hawks decide to nest somewhere else.Hopefully I won't have them around when my chickens have their own chicks.

5. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    With the rotten weather we have had lately, the predators are looking for a quick easy kill to conserve energy. Some are migrating at this time to traditional nesting grounds. Others are staking out territories for themselves. Mostly you will see the males first, then the females will join them.

If you notice hawks hanging around your place with a certain tree as their vantage point, you can take some old cd disks and hang them through out the tree, if you can get up into it. You can also use those small pie pans that pot pies come in.

As it is illegal to harass or shoot at raptors for the most part, you can discourage them from roosting and nesting around your property though through somewhat passive means.

6. Pinky

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:I think the hawks I seen was actually just one.The tree I seen one coming out of was not in my yard,and I don't think the neighbors would like cds hanging in their trees [​IMG]
    The trees in my yard are too short and small for a hawk to nest in,and now i'm glad they are.I really think it is just passing by.
    My blue andalusian hen I got from my neighbor, had a hawk attack the other chickens she was with and she fought it off,and wasn't even hurt,so I don't think she is too worried.I also have those extra roosters that I thought were chickens and they are real aware of the predators here.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Whether the hawk you saw was just one or whether there were more, I would keep your birds in for a few days and then see if the hawk(s) is(are) still around. One hawk is more than enough to dine on your birds, unless it was something tiny like a kestrel.

Last year I had Coopers hawks nesting very close to the coop - it was a very difficult several months having to keep an eagle eye on my feathered friends. Literally standing right over them during times I let them free range. Literally getting little else done! Coopers will come back to the same spot to nest again so I may have the same vigil about to start again soon. They stay for several months...

I hope all will be well.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by