Some yolks from fresh eggs are watery ,don't hold together after cracking.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynmoon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Cynmoon

Cynmoon New Egg

Aug 18, 2014
    Hi , I have about 80 hens, Awesome girls all.In the last couple of months SOME of the eggs when you crack them to use them the yolks just fall apart.Not sure why ,have been doing hens and selling eggs for about 6 years,Never had this . The eggs are fresh too. Any feed back. Thanks. :)

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmm, what are you feeding them? Have you changed anything with their diet?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    micstrachan likes this.
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That is very interesting! Thanks for mentioning that.

5. Cynmoon

Cynmoon New Egg

Aug 18, 2014
    Hi , Feed them regular layer mash.Not the cereal kind the kind that is made of ground grains.I also mix in extra cracked corn and crushed oats,They are free ranging on 10 acres.Thx for reply.

6. twigsnberries

twigsnberries Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    Virginia
    Was there ever any solution to this?? I just started having this problem a month ago. I have about 25 free ranging hens, and suddenly (and randomly) I get eggs that the yolk is watery and runny. I thought maybe it was just one chicken so I cracked open about 50 eggs to see. It seems to be completely random. 2 out of 15 Maran eggs, 3 out of 25 easter egger eggs, and the rest came from my red star hens. I dont get it. I have not changed their feed in over a year. Any ideas?

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @twigsnberries
    How old are the hens that are laying these eggs?
    What type of feed do you provide?
    There are many factors that impact the quality of eggs - age, nutritional/vitamin deficiency, disease, ventilation and on it goes. Since it's random, it could be age related if they are different ages - also free ranging, maybe these certain girls are eating something that the others aren't(?)

The only thing I can think of, is to provide some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week in the water and watch to see if those girls are eating a specific plant?

Here's some information on egg quality
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

8. twigsnberries

twigsnberries Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    Virginia
    They are all less than 1.5 years old. It is the strangest thing. I will try the vitamins. Thanks.

9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    hmm...Look at the girls that are doing this - are they beginning to molt? That might cause some egg quality issues.

micstrachan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by