Somebody came walking up?

rhinomeadows

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Atoka, OK
I have a friend that just had a pair of peafowl, just come walking over to his home. Can you believe it? Anyway does anybody know how we could see how old they are or whether they are still laying age. I told him I want first dibs on trying to incubate some of those eggs. If you have any advice on egg hatching I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Hello,
I strongly suggest that your friend should try locate the pea's owner!
Peapeople become very attached to their peas, and someone is probably missing these two terribly.
Sometimes people put lost pea notices on craigslist, you might start there.

If you want more information about these peas, you'll need to post pictures; someone here will be able to tell you about their ages and sexes. For more general pea info (hatching etc), please see the stickies:

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

Hello,
I strongly suggest that your friend should try locate the pea's owner!
Peapeople become very attached to their peas, and someone is probably missing these two terribly.
Sometimes people put lost pea notices on craigslist, you might start there.

If you want more information about these peas, you'll need to post pictures; someone here will be able to tell you about their ages and sexes. For more general pea info (hatching etc), please see the stickies:

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

x2 They definitely belong to someone and just got out. I would want someone to attempt to return my pets and would try to do the same.

My grandfather had a neighbor with peas and one would hop the fence and sleep in my gpa's tree every night and then go home every morning. These two probably just went on an adventure and live somewhere nearby.

I agree with the above post, please try to find out who is looking for them.
They are no longer laying this time of year so mabe next year you can hatch some eggs or just by some babies and raise them up, they will bond to you that way.
I love my Peas and would be heart broken if someone just locked them up cause they happened by as i never have mine in pens and they can spook easly sometimes and do go flying off.

2 weeks ago my English Pointer got out of my backyard. He dug under the fence and my neighbor is a horse farm. Well my dog got kicked by a horse and ran. He went under the barbed wire fence and was at the edge of the road. A lady driving by stopped and pick him up. Instead of knocking on the doors of the 4 houses she took him to her home. We looked for this dog til 1230 in the morning. I could not sleep cause my dog was somewhere out there alone and most likely scared. Well he chewed her comforter so she dropped him off at the police station the next day. She wanted me to pay for her blanket but the police officer told her she should not have pick up the dog and left with it. It was not her dog and the owner is not responsible for any damages the dog did. I could've had her arrested for stealing my dog LOL The dog ended up having a concussion from being kicked and a large hematoma on the side of his head which cause an ear infection. He is fine now but it cost me $600. The point is I was very worried and roaming the woods looking for my pet not knowing someone had him. The owners are most likely doing the same for their peafowl you have. I can also bet that if you find the owners and give the birds back that they will give you chicks next season for returning the pair to them. I know I would give you some
wink.png

We had a really bad windstorm about a year ago, and it blew over the pen I had my peafowl in. It was tied down but the wind blowing on the canopy over the pen pulled the stakes out of the ground. When I went out, the hen was missing but the two males were still in the yard. When I approached the older male to try to catch him, he flew off. I was just sick... About half an hour later, a neighbor called me to tell me that there was a peacock in her yard, and she didn't want the dogs to get it. I went down right away and got him to head home. A few hours later (after a lot of searching), my hen wandered back in. I can not describe the relief of having them all back!

Yea any time they fly off in a tizzy it is of concern here, but so far everyone stay within the area of home and if they are out in the fields and get spooked they fly home.

Mine can be out in the fields now and if i see a hawk and make a crow call they start honking and then all of a sudden they all take off flying to where ever i am, they have also learned that when they sound off and i grab the bottle rocket lancher we are on the hunt, the peas will rubberneck in the area cocking thier heads in the direction of what ever has them alarmed, if it is a BOP and it has entered the area a bottle rocket is lanched and the Peas whatch the preditor leave, the rockets do not bother them one bit they rusum their buisness of the day like nothing ever happened, they are a great deturant for the coopers hawks, a dozen ppeas with run one off now in a heart beat, chase them fool birds threw the woods till they leave.

How far will peas travel. When I became an unexpected pea caretaker - that was Frankie who just appeared at my glass door and fell in love with her reflection - I phoned neighbors all around us (we all have 5 or more acres). I thought if they didn't own peas perhaps their neighbors on past them would and they would know. I was never able to locate Frankie's owner; or anyone who has peas. It is almost like she dropped out of the sky.

I would love to have 3 -4 pea chicks. I want blues. Does anyone ship chicks and how successful is that?

Martha

Martha,
I think you said you're near Cincinnati? If you look on the UPA breeder's directory (http://www.peafowl.org/breeders.htm), you'll find pea breeders that you can drive to and pick up peachicks. That's likely to be safer than shipping.

You might note that probably one of your closest breeders is one that is very highly regarded here, Hopkins (see their website http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/). It looks like they might be only a two hour drive from you?

How far will peas travel. When I became an unexpected pea caretaker - that was Frankie who just appeared at my glass door and fell in love with her reflection - I phoned neighbors all around us (we all have 5 or more acres). I thought if they didn't own peas perhaps their neighbors on past them would and they would know. I was never able to locate Frankie's owner; or anyone who has peas. It is almost like she dropped out of the sky.

I would love to have 3 -4 pea chicks. I want blues. Does anyone ship chicks and how successful is that?

Martha
Tame peas do not fly that far but it is what happens when they fly were there are people, left to their own they would probly come back home as soon as they felt safe, but if people start trying to catch them or they feel threatened by all the comotion they will most likely fly away from ther and most times than not they end up farther from home.

In the wild i read that a peacock flew 13 miles across a body of water to get to some land. They are strong flyers but if kept penned they will tire easly so i dought they will fly over 1/10th of a mile without having a stroke
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom