Somebody dropped the ball..........

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dianer29, Oct 31, 2009.

1. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    The feed store that I get my organic chick starter/grower from does not have anymore. To say the least I am at my wits end. I called every darn number in our phone book,low and behold ... Nada! Since this item like all the rest of the poultry supplies comes in by barge and can take several weeks I just want to wring someones neck........since have calmed down since I felt even meaner before this feeling..lol. I was told "oh just give them some wild bird seed ,or give them some papapya ,etc."OMG I am /was ready to fly the darn coop.One helpful clerk gave us some farmers last name to call as he has an organic farm somewhere on the island. We cannot locate such person. My chickies eat the organic feed,which is my choice and I am not ready to change that way of feeding. Does any BYCER have any ideas ? I might be waiting to you know what freezes over ,for the barge to come IF it is on it in the first place. I do not even have 3 days supply left . The supplier was to order ahead for me but somewhow it never happened. I have one other option ,to order online or phone if a feed store on the mainland for an enormous shipping price can fed ex or whatever to the island and that probably would take a few days to say the least as we are very aware of all the mailing mayhem here on the island.lol I have to laugh as I get one big headache when I cry!I never would of waited to last minute like this had I not been misinformed.once again ......lol

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you have a feedmill that could mix your own recipe?
    Thats what I did with my goats I buy and mix myself.
    Here is a web site that may help come up with something you can obtain.
    http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Yes, agreed the feed mill should be able to custom a blend for you. Take care and have a blessed day.

4. sis

sis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    How many chicks do you have?

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We can get it only in spring and summer here. Starter feed is highly perishable and generally the mills make it only when folks are raising chicks early in the season. I know it doesn't make sense for those raising their own chicks or for the late starters, so I suspect it's a commercial decision. You might have to make your own, if you can get the ingredients.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The feed will mix it for you but you will have to get a good amount at one time..
    I know around here we have to get a min. 300 lbs at a time. I know some of the mills wanted a min. of 500 lbs..

Chris

7. dianer29

dianer29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    We don't have any feed mills on the island. I am up the creek without a paddle and sinking fast.............

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I would buy some cornmeal and oats from the grocery grind it in a blender,and boil eggs,sprout seeds and give this to them.If it were me in this situation.
    Crush up a human vitamin and give in their water.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where is your island?

If you have papayas.. you must be tropical somewhere...

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Hardboiled chopped eggs and
    fresh veggies and yogurt. is good emergency feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by