Somebody dumped two young chickens over my fence this morning.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Taunya, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Taunya

Taunya Chirping

Jan 4, 2018
    Or at least that's what it's looking like now. Their wings are clipped so they couldn't have flown in. They were standing outside my coop this morning early looking very forlorn. 2 youngsters, one is a rooster, one is a hen.

They both look healthy so far as I can tell, but how long would you wait before trying to merge them into my (tiny) flock of 3? I have them sequestered in a large dog kennel for the moment.

Ironically, the reason I even HAVE chickens at all was a young hen I rescued a year ago on a busy street in Los Angeles. I'm still figuring out all the ins and outs. The universe seems to want to give me chickens. :p

Attached Files:

2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Lol. They are very nice looking! :love

3. Kessel23

Kessel23 Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2018
    Wisconsin
    They look full grown to me. Since they are bantams they might have slid in through a small opening somewhere, or their owner just did a poor job on the wing clipping.

4. Taunya

Taunya Chirping

Jan 4, 2018
    Someone says they may be Seromas?

5. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Free Ranging

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Aww, they're so cute!
    You'll definitely want to quarantine them before introducing to your other birds. Keeping them as far as possible and out of sight is best, and also wash your hands after handling them. Healthy looking birds can still harbor contagious diseases that your current flock may not have built immunities to yet. Also check for mites and lice and treat with permethrin if necessary. This article will give lots more details:
    The Essential Quarantine

When a couple weeks have passed, you can start integration using the See But Don’t Touch method. They have obviously been cared for by someone if their wings are clipped and may actually be totally healthy, but you don't want to take any chances.

Best wishes with your gift from the universe!

6. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Poor babies! Living in the country and with a horse barn, we get lots of drop offs......but mostly kittens or cats! I have yet to have some surrendered chickens show up!
    Good luck with your newbies! I’m so happy that they found a new, good home!

7. Bamabexchicks

Bamabexchicks Free Ranging

Oct 30, 2018
    East central Alabama
    How adorable! They seem to have had a soft landing to have ended up in your hands. As noted above they need to be quarantined away from your flock and checked for external parasites. Imo they should not be integrated with the flock until at least a month. I agree with the look but not touch mentality also. Let them see the others in about 2 weeks. I think the are Seramas, but am not up to speed on Bantam breeds.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If they were right next to your flock, the issue of quarantine is past. While it is a possibility that they can look healthy and carry sickness, your birds were exposed to them when you found them.

Give it a try, but if you have 3 birds, you are basically doubling your flock. My point is, how big is your set up, as in feet by feet. A cramped space, can lead to some very ugly behavior.

Mrs K

9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Keep separate for at least one month if possible. Make them a small run. Keep them as far away from any chickens you already have. that may mean temporarily fencing them off from the rest of your property.
    Sometimes proper quarantine just isn't possible so you have to do the best you can with what you've got.

10. Amatsuhono

Amatsuhono Chirping

Oct 30, 2018
    San Benito, TX
    I'm assuming your general area based on your first chicken being rescued from Los Angeles, but I would urge you to contact the California Anima Health Commission, to have your flock voluntarily tested for vND. People within the quarantine have dumped birds in the past to avoid having to deal with it. I don't want to scare you, the person who dumped them probably had birds somewhere they weren't supposed to (especially if they're bantams) and was trying to get rid of them before they got caught. Especially since CAHC and USDA were going door to door in many areas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: