Somebody is Slacking........

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scrambled Egg, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    LOL!!!! I saw Rosey get off the nest so I know it was her...
    [​IMG] I've seen Robin egg bigger!! [​IMG] Guess she must have been having an off day!!!

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    That is really interesting. I wonder if it has a yolk. How old is the hen that layed it ?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You could sell that small one to folks on a diet!

4. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    ROTFLMBO!!!!! Yes, diet egg for sure!!! Have to show it to DH whenhe comes home before cracking it, so don't know about the yolk. All my hens are about a 1 1/2 years old and laying since last Thanksgiving. Maybe it's just been too hot, not sure, but it really is small!!! My DH said "ewwww, I'm not eating that!!" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

[​IMG]

Maybe she is like some of my chickens and doesn't understand the arrangement.

7. Scrambled Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    My daughter said you couldn't tell how really small it was from that pic so here is one proportionate to a penny..
    [​IMG]

and Buster I know your chickens have a "lay or get in the pot" rule but I couldn't eat mine even if they never laid an egg!!!

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I know that Scrambled- that's why I said it. [​IMG] I haven't had any really small or really big eggs out of mine, but my nhr started laying pale colored eggs the other day instead of reddish brown which was an unusual change.

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think it's the heat. One of my sexlinks laid one of those just a few weeks ago. I thought she was just burning out because she's two years, but she has gone back to laying regularly. All my girls have slowed down in this heat we're having. The Dorks are barely laying at all, but they laid all winter, so they deserve a break.

Maybe the fireworks have something to do with it?(I vote for heat though)

-Kim

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    plenty of laying pellets and water . ALSo give them oyster shells make for harder shells ...

Size depends on the breed as well ... MY RIR's are still laying huge eggs despite the heat .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by