Somebody laid an EGG!!! Make that 2 someones today! Pics page 2

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDbeads, Nov 14, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    And I don't know who it was. I know it wasn't Ezzy, she's in her own pen and didn't lay an egg today. It's not May, she still in the hospital crate. I don't think Freak or Panic did it either, EE and only 6 months old....
    So that leaves the NHR's who are 32 weeks old... and I thought they laid BROWN eggs, not fleshy pinky colored eggs! I compared it to Ezzy's from yesterday (since I know I saw her lay it) and the ones we got so far this week.... just a tad smaller than hers and it's the same color so looks like the mystery girl laid 2 other eggs this week.

Someone is laying eggs [​IMG] Now to talk the rest of them into it!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! Although my brahmas are listed as brown egg layers I'm used to their pink eggs now. Towards the end of their cycle they went light brown/cream color, but now they are all laying pink.

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    What's the deal with these fleshy colored eggs???? I got the NHR's because I have a lady who wants to buy BROWN eggs! Not blue, green, pink or white but BROWN.....

Not that I'm complaining, I won't be selling to anyone until we get enough to satisfy us but still.......

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I dunno. I have some customers that prefer the brown eggs, which is one of the reasons why I got the brahmas, but they don't have a problem with the pink ones.
    There is that one airhead (the capt's wife) that thinks that brown eggs means they are spoiled. I'm getting easter eggers in the spring just to mess with her head a bit. [​IMG]

5. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    This same lady doesn't want the blue eggs because she thinks the chickens were operated on at hatch and had dye injected into them to cause the non brown eggs. Also thinks the white eggs at the store are soaked in bleach before sale....
    And this is a neighbor......... [​IMG]

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Congrats! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Poor you! [​IMG] Maybe she's related to the captain's wife. I'll have to ask if she has any kin in Texas.

8. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I've come across a couple people recently that thought white eggs were bleached too. lol

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh that's too funny, I love to mess with people that way and it's gotten me into a touch of trouble here and there... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Only once did it stir enough resentment that it caused me real issues, but that's how it is with officers sometimes! I kept my face totally pleasant and eyes totally clear and curious while asking 'whatever can the problem be?' but still.... there was trouble. (I'm not a good liar, but things had gotten to a point where I had to maintain the air of innocence. It wasn't a true lie, just a cover and I just had to lay low! I had taken things a bit too far though.)

My Commander knew I was playing innocent, but let me get away with it, mostly because he knew I'd stick to my story no matter what. I made all the reassuring noises and assured him I'd avoid anything of the sort in the future. I got "THAT" look from him and a, "See that you do." response from him to let me know that he knew I was on thin ice. I had to behave after that for at least a little while!

Anyway, as far as the egg color goes, new layers can be a little off on the color, when I had RIR and NHR hens, the egg color was very similar and definately brown, some hens are a shade or two lighter though so give it a bit of time.

10. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by