Somebody please, please stop me!

momma's chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Idaho
big_smile.png
gig.gif
:D Okay so this winter I had two chickens and life was good, it was great but I wanted it better so I decide to get some more babies. We put up a bigger henhouse and different run and I proceed to bring home 7 chicks, then 5 more. That makes 12 babies that are now 10 weeks and 8 weeks and life is good. Got them more out to the hen house, everybody for the most part was getting along and I had room to get a few more chicks later if I wanted. My aunt asks me if I would like her to bring three different five week old chicks because she ordered them and they are more of a rare breed and you can't get them from the feed store around here. They are now six weeks old and in the hen house. My house is smelling much better and life is GREAT!

I went the feed store to pick up a new 8 gallon waterer and they had golden spangle hamberg pullets in. I had to look and look and look. I was so proud of myself I walked out of the store empty-handed, well I had the waterer and since the store is 40 miles away I figured I was safe. Well my friend called and her neice had given her son a chick from a school class project. EVERYBODY knows you can't raise just ONE chick so she had to go get a few more. Would I like to go.
barnie.gif
WELL BUT OF COURSE, DUH!!!!!

I am now the proud mommy of two golden spangle hambergs.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I am the same way, what I should have done in the beginning is to just get one of each in every color lol

Everything that I don't already have I want.

This week I saw some adorable blue and red bantam cochins and I want them.

I also bought a baby turkey who was all alone at the feed store.
roll.png

Oh they had turkeys at the feed store too and my 7 year old begged me to buy her a duck. I told her her father would pull his hair out if we brought home a duck.
tongue.png

Is your turkey with your chicks? How old is the turkey now?

I feel the same way. A friend gave me his 7 hens and rooster at the beginning of spring. He said he had to rebuild the coop but I think it was because they weren't laying. Then after Easter I get two ducks from my sister-in-law. She got them and 4 chicks for her grandkids. The chicks died from improper care. Had two ducks living in my shower. It was the easiest way to clean up after them. Then my friend was talking about getting some banties and would we watch them in JULY when he goes on a trip. I was thinking outloud that it would be just as easy to watch them at my house as it would be at his house. The next day 10 banty hens and one banty rooster appear at my house when I'm out and about. The count now, 8 regulars, 2 ducks, 11 banties, for a total of 21 birds. Oops,. forgot the Cornish X that were supposed to be straight heavies, started with 50 and ended up with 37. They're at the friends house. Friend says he still wants some dual purpose but he isn't ready for brooding them. So I get 54 hatchery special. All still alive. So at my house I have 21 plus 54 equals 73 chickens and 2 ducks. One of my broodies just hatched 7 and we're trying to save one more. 80 chickens and two ducks with another broody due in a week and half. I think I need intervention.

gig.gif
Dacjohns, put your name on the list above mine for those who need help.
gig.gif

I have to ask though why do you have the banties in May since the trip is in July?
lol.png

Chickens in May for trip in July? That's my friend. I learned I can't think out loud around him or he will think I've made a decision. He has all the broilers though. He is supposed to have a pen made for them so they don't spend all their time in an 8 by 8 coop. I have to learn how to say no without offending him.

Sounds like me. I only wanted 3-4. Then I saw all the different varieties and upped it to eight. We were at the farm store getting my 3 buff orps when DH looked over into the banty bin. He got 4. Now we have 10 chick, with 3 on the way next week. The bad thing is DH is hooked too and I have no-one to talk me out of buying more.
barnie.gif
!

Back
Top Bottom