Somebody please tell me what its like to have bantams or silkies.

mahsmaj

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Hannibal, Missouri
I could only dream about having bantams or silkies. I wish I knew what it was like!
barnie.gif

I don't know if you allready know it, but Bantams are a smaller size, not a certain breed... and they are fun! We have 12-- 3 black Silkies, 3 white Silkies, 3 Old English Game, 2 Seabrights and 1 Mille Fluer D'Uccle!

They are the size of Robins right now-- except those pudgy silkies!!!! They are 2x the size of their "brood mates".

Silkies are beautiful, comical, and fun.. BUT: We prefer to no longer raise them due to their scull problem (Missing bone in the cranium-- meaning easily injured if hit or bumped hard)

That is NOT to say we don't like them, or that other folks wouldn't have absolutely no problems raising them-- but daughter and Son are now "Gun Shy" after having to put one out of it's misery due to a head trauma... so we are finding them new homes...

From what I understand, their eggs are delicious, tho small... but they can be good layers!

I love my silkies~~They are so pretty and fluffy running around my yard (when I am out there!)

I loved my first white ones so much, I hatched out a Splash and a Bluish one. Some of them are a little, shy, but my rooster is soooo friendly and he does not crow loudly or all day either. That means I can keep him.
big_smile.png

I have 3 bantam RIRs (1 roo, and 2 hens), 2 Old English bantams, 4 Modern game bantams and a Mille Fleur D'Uccle.

I love my RIR roo. He is so good with his girls and I have not had to worry about him being agressive with me, DH or DS.

They are very easy to hold, very gentle, and I don't think the roos crows are as loud as a standard roo. The bantam RIR hens rule all of the other hens, which are standards.

You'll love the bantams if you get some.

It is Heaven on Earth. You must get some.
Silkies are so funny looking- they have generally speaking-sweet personalities. You can have MORE bantams in the same space than standards-lol. I encourage you to get a few.If you are near me- I'll even give you a few.

Hi all at backyard chickens. I am new here and I am a silky owner, incubator nut and just all round crazy about chickens. When my silkies are off the brood the incubator is plugged in! I have many silkies and they are just adorable. Not only are they unusual and sweet natured, but they also love to go broody and are wonderful mothers. I hope that you can one day own some and experience they joy and entertainment they give.
big_smile.png

We just got our Silkies last weekend, but absolutely love them already! They are 5 weeks old and covered with their soft fuzzy feathers. They make the neatest noises, not just the clucking of large fowl chicken.

I say get some silkies!

Im only 15... so it would be kinda hard for me to drive somewhere or order something... sooo... does anyone know how i can convince my dad to let me get some more chickens ? ? ? :
roll.png

Ask, he'll probably say fine. Altho the wanting is sometime more fun than having.. Take your time, figure out exactly what breed of bantam and color and begin the search. learning about them is a lot of fun. Of course, realize when you are on your own, you can own any kind and amount you can afford.

I Know... I cant wait!!! Ive already got it planned out that im going to have a small farm. starting with a few chickens... and then slowly getting larger as i have extra money... maybe.

Back
Top Bottom