Somebody, save me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffyColor, May 16, 2010.

1. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    I am looking forward to getting chicks. I am designing a 10x16 coop (should fit about 80 birds...I'm begging my mind to let me shrink it but mind's not buying) and spending every free minute I can reading about how to raise chickens. My mom and dad seem okay with it now, and I'm pretty sure chickens are legal here. However, my half birthday is coming up soon, and I'm thinking of asking for silkie chicks for my half- birthday. My Pet Chicken or Cackle should carry silkies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please save me! Tell my parents I'm sleepy and don't know what I'm talking about! Put a block on the My Pet Chicken website! Please help! Please! [​IMG]

(credit to gritty who gave me the bravery to post my situation) But really! I NEED HELP! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Sorry, can't help you, I keep buying birds myself and hopefully will be getting BLRW's and Silkies next Sunday! [​IMG]

As for your coop, 10X16 will only hold 40 birds, not 80, so that should keep your numbers down!

3. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Wait, I thought each bantam would need 2 feet of space, so 10 times 16=160-divided by 2-80.

Please, just do something!

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Um, it's kinda like asking the rest of the psych ward if you're crazy..... [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    You are in NY and when winter comes and they have to be in for awhile, you will likely wish you had 40 or less and not 80. And your chickens will wish the same. An extended stay in cramped quarters leads to problems easily avoided by not overcrowding.

7. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    um..... may i ask..... what is a half- birthday?

8. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    the 6 month mile stone!!!

9. K-lyn

K-lyn New Egg

May 15, 2010
    Do yourself and the chicks a favor since you've not had them before. Just start out with a few....say maybe 6, or 10 at most. There is alot to learn and alot to clean up/maintain. As far as the two feet per bird. That is a minimum space allowance. Personally I think it is cruel to cramp them up that tight. Don't you want happy birds? They don't like being crowded anymore than we do. And with silkies, you wanna keep them dry, clean, and comfortable...they don't like it hot and they don't do well with cold at all! If you start with fewer you have room for hatching baby chicks later.

10. K-lyn

K-lyn New Egg

May 15, 2010
    b.hromada :

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

DITTO! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by