Somebody stole our hay!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by theoldchick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    We left the house for two hours and came home to find somebody had taken one round bale of hay! We are not quite sure how they loaded the six foot bale because the tractor with the hay prong had the round baler still attached. Well....at least they took the old hay.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sadly enough just like the four legged predators these creeps will be back. Set them up. Leave at the same time next week with a dummy in the car. Have your husband stay home to call the police.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Game cam time!!!!!

4. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Amazing!!!!!!!!!!

How much is a round bale worth in your neck of the woods?

Down here I get a 900# bale for about $25, it's amazing some one would go to that much effort for a single bale.

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Wow. How would someone steal that much hay anyways? [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    The hay is worth about $30.00 bucks. We had donated 100 round bales for Texas relief, and we would have gladly given the hay to whomever it was if they had just asked. Would have loaded it for them, too.

7. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Down here in Texas I have to keep my hay for the winter under lock and key and out of sight...or it WOULD get stolen. [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    Quote:That's what I heard. The tractor trailer driver hired to haul the hay made sure the rig was locked before it left South Carolina.

And I just remembered the hay stolen today is tainted with black walnut leaves (the state purchases this hay for highway use) which will kill what ever grazes on the dried leaves. I hate that some poor horse will die because of a thieving owner.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:That's what I heard. The tractor trailer driver hired to haul the hay made sure the rig was locked before it left South Carolina.

And I just remembered the hay stolen today is tainted with black walnut leaves (the state purchases this hay for highway use) which will kill what ever grazes on the dried leaves. I hate that some poor horse will die because of a thieving owner.

Maybe put a big sign up saying that(warning them).... just so you feel better.

10. Runt Of The Litter

Runt Of The Litter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire,UK
    happens a lot over here-travellers/gypsies without morals have stolen bales from under ponies mouths [have caught them at it on camera a few years back],perhaps look at getting good flood lighting which comes on when anyone passes the sensor,cheap [with night vision] IP-cctv cameras and clear visible signs saying there are CCTV cameras recording,if have not got any yard dogs,coud get a recording of agressive sounding dogs-loop it on a computer with some software and make a system where anyone who trips a wire or sensor or whatever activates the barking.

make it very hard for them to get into the farm to,have gates on the path leading up to the farm padlocked-especialy at night,we do on ours.
    use a number code padlock so everyone who uses the farm can get in without needing a ton of keys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by