Somebody told wife today NOT to paint interior of Coop RED

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mstrrlm, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mstrrlm

mstrrlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Picayune, MS
    Is painting the inside of the coop red a problem? Guy at store told my wife the the red cn do something to or with there eyes and they will die!!!! Can anyone confirm or deny this before we start painting tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Well...no. Many people use a red lamp to light/heat the coop. Its a myth. So, paint away!

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    i thought the same thing if red effected their eye sight,, no one would use the red lamps... seams like an old wives tale to ,me...

)O(
    Pink

Now I do know from experience not to paint he inside of a horse trailer white,, not that it hurts them or anything,,, but they dont like the white. seams they cant define layers or levels .. for example the white manger then 2ft behind it the white wall, they overshoot the manger and bump into it, thinking they have more space.. but i dont think that would be a problem with chickens ?

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

My tractor walls are painted red on the inside. I have used it for 3 years and no chickens have died or gone crazy.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I have a coop with the interior red. I do not like it, would.prefer a lighter color. I had problems in that coop with chickens missing body parts! I thought the chickens were killing each other because I would go there in the morning and find a dead , partly eaten chicken inside. Turned out a coon was grabbing through a tiny space and eating off whatever could be grabbed. Still, I prefer yellow interiors.

6. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    I think crazy is such a strong word [​IMG] ... my coops are not red inside, but some of my chickens fit that description [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My playhouse coop is red inside. It is the safest and only coop that I have had zero losses in!

8. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Doubt red's a problem, but I painted mine greenish grey (left over from home trim) and it's too dark in hindsight. I think you'll regret a dark paint like red. Just my opinion. Good luck and enjoy your chickens!

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours has red trim but I wanted the inside (and most of the outside) a light color so it's light turquoise blue. The red trim hasn't seem to cause any blindness so far.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  10. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Well, I hope not as I have used a huge red plastic toy bucket as the brooder for my newly hatched chicks. I also have a red light ...... ok now I'm worried! [​IMG]

Edited to say: I told my hubby he says, "Well, we'll go and pick up a different container today for the chicks." I said, "I hope it hasn't hurt them as everything is red in there." He said, "The dish is blue." [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by