Somebody wants to buy one of my hens. Price?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Dogfish, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    So I'm saving my 5 heritage birds for brood stock for next year. I have 1 bronze (eastern cross?) tom, 3 naragansett hens (2 light, one slightly darker), and a blue slate hen. All were hatched in May/June. A co-worker of my wife has a lonely tom, and needs a new hen. How do I determine the value of a semi-mature hen?

I told my wife that I wanted to get some eggs from all of the hens prior to selling any of them. Not really interested in selling a brood stock bird, but... (the blue slate hen is the oddball, and I wouldn't have an issue giving her up. She was my bonus bird for buying 4 poults for $10 each.)

What should I expect to pay for the tom, and should I counter-offer with 3 or 4 poults for the tom? This way they could start a new flock, and I could gain an experienced tom.

Thanks!

2. impis

impis Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2010
    Why not loan him/her a hen, on condition you have some of the fertilised eggs once they start appearing. The hen remains your property, but the food bill is paid by someone else.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Poults around here go for $8-$10, and adult turkeys go for $20-$25.

4. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I would sell her the bird for like $20 with the condition that you get a few of the eggs That way you have eggs from all your birds and she can start her flock everyone wins.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Here in Texas, heritage birds of this age go for $40-45. You have atleast that much feed in them. I wouldn't sell for less and expect some eggs in the spring. What if something happens to the 1 Tom or 1 hen?

6. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    Around here I have seen $25-50.00 for a hen. You will have to see how your area is and what interest is out there. Poultry seem to be between $8-10.00 each.

Brandon

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Back in November I sold the last of my sale birds. April hatched went for $25 apiece and June hatched went for $20.

I won't do that again though because as Colby notes that's just getting most of the feed costs back. I wouldn't sell any for less than $35.

Next year I intend to move all of mine out before they hit 90 days.

8. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    i sell my bourbon reds for 35 up to 60 at auction. birds are usually 4-6 months

9. MovieFanz

MovieFanz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    I sold my Thanksgiving turkeys (live) for $150.

10. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    Quote:How many? What breed?

That is a MAJOR factor in price~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by