Someday my chicks will come...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by justastitch, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Yes, successfully

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, didn't work out well

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. justastitch

justastitch New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    I've wanted the farm life and to raise chickens. I finally moved and still didn't move to a place that would allow chickens... durn town livestock laws... well, I've wondered about raising quail. So that's what I'm researching now. Any thoughts and information on this would be very appreciated. I will have a small fenced yard where I'd like to put up a little quail roost. I don't know how small is too small for it. I've read that they don't take a lot of room. I want to raise them for pets/eggs and use their poo for garden amendments. I live in a fairly mild climate in the Texas Hill Country... well, mild winters, rarely below 20s, but summers hitting 100 and above at times. I figured I'd need a covered coop for them, read that off the ground is better, so the poo could fall to the ground and I could put in my compost pile. Are they healthy when they're just in their pens all the time and not on the ground. I hear so much about cage free chickens being healthy. Why wouldn't it be the same for quail? Obviously too many questions to start this now, but hopefully it will be in my future. I'm still hoping our little town will loosen backyard chicken laws, too. I live on a golf course, so probably not much chance of it...LOL.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chicken laws... we have a section here dedicated to it where you can chat with people in the same boat and get ideas from those who have been successful in changing them:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

In the meantime, quail sounds like a great idea. I'm thinking of getting some myself. Have you seen the Quail section? You will get plenty information and advice there:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail

Good luck with your chicken plans (laws permitting) and your quail!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG] - never had quail

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Golf course folks generally aren't big on chickens. How about a couple of silkies - nobody will know that they are chickens. Welcome to BYC.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, justastitch, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I X2 the advice of Sumi! Good luck to you in your venture.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by