Someone didn't read the calender!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Painted Spirit, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Eek! I just went to do a final check of my eggs and put them in lockdown - I've got one pip! He is only on day 18! Is it possible he was already cooking on his own (shipped egg)? I put them in the incubator on Friday the 2 weeks ago although I did have some that I held for a day to let them all settle. I've poured a bunch of water in the trays and a sponge in an inch of water in a small container in an attempt to get the humidity up quickly. I had them at 30% for incubation.....

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

They do that sometimes. He sill might not hatch till day 21. If a lot hatch way early your thermometer may be off. Temp to high can make them hatch early.

3. Painted Spirit

Oct 18, 2009
    Yeah, I tried to keep the temp around 100-101 and my bator is in a secluded area and holds temps pretty steady. I did notice when I candled at day 7 and day 14 that some of them seemed more advanced. I've got Delawares, Orps and Marans brewing. I think it is a delly baby trying to make an early debut. This morning he is still in his shell peeping and rocking but not really trying to come out -

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Painted Spirit...I too have Delawares and my last hatch was COMPLETELY finished by the end of day 20. Some of mine began hatching early on day 19. I was running a Genesis 1588, temps rock solid at 99.5 and they were still early. Guess the Del babies just like to make an early entrance!!

Good luck....we need PIX too!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Painted Spirit

Oct 18, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Okay, I need some feedback here. Here's the guy who pipped last night. It's been 24 hrs and he has made no progress - not sure if he can't or doesn't feel motivated enough. These are shipped eggs and very important to me. Should I help? The eggs are now on day 19. The humidity was down to 30% when he made his appearance and now is up to 55%.

6. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    First of all I think you need to get the humidity up a bit more. Mine seem to hatch best around 65%. Can you add water without opening the bator?

Is the pipped one moving about at all?

If you cant add water without opening it....maybe you can add water, pull the pipped one out to help it and return him before any others pip. Biggest thing to be concerned with is the humidity for the others yet to come. Are there any other pips?

I know some here say NOT to intervene, but I have done it myself (successfully) on several occasions.

7. Painted Spirit

Oct 18, 2009
    Yes, the pipped one has been moving and cheeping steadily. I think I'll take the plunge and help him a bit when I add extra water. The room humidity is down from the furnace going in the house so I think I've maxed out on the bator humidity....

8. Painted Spirit

Oct 18, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Yup, he was definitely shrink wrapped! There was no way he was going to make it out alone. I was afraid to help as I wasn't sure if the yolk was absorbed enough but between the low incubation humidity and having the egg opened for so long it was his best chance. I think I did a pretty good job (thank goodness there have been videos on here of how to do it!) so now it's up to him. I've got more cheeping in the other eggs starting up so I'm going to watch each one to see if they need help after a while once they've pipped and no progress for a few hours. Whew! I don't think he realizes he's free - he has kicked out a few times but is breathing pretty hard.... I took him out a second time to see if his nostrils were clogged - anyone have a kleenex?

9. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    the little guy is in my prayers! Let us know when u have more updates (and of course pictures!!!) And good luck with the rest!

10. Painted Spirit

Oct 18, 2009
    Well the poor little guy has made thru the night but I don't think he's going to make it
    [​IMG]

He cant breathe without opening his mouth to breathe. I've tried offering him water and dipping his beak in but he just shakes it off and makes no effort to swallow. His beak area is reddened and looks a little off to one side. I've put him in a small container to see if he'll spunk up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by