1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone dropped off some chickens at my house...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ND Sue, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    Hi,
    I'm new here and am now a chicken owner! So far!

I found 3 chickens by my farm Sat. and caught them Sunday. They were in the exact same spot, where I think they were dumped.

I'm in the middle of no where, ND. and none of my neighbors have chickens, so I assume they were dropped off. They are in great shape and fat, so I don't think they traveled far. They are also fairly tame. I'm surprised they are a fancy type and wouldn't think someone would just dump them, but people can be strange!

They are in temporary digs.. staying in a dog house and dog kennel for now. I am working on getting a little place put together for them.

So my big question is, I am wondering what they are and what sex. I know the big brown one is a rooster because he crows and protects the others. I am hoping the other 2 are hens!

I've always wanted chickens and my husband was against it, so I never went out and bought any, but when they fall in your lap, it was meant to be! So I hope to learn a lot from all of you!

Anyway, here is a pic of them:

[​IMG]

Hens? I hope?

[​IMG]

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful chickens!! That grey/silver especially. I hope you get to keep them.

3. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    They are really cute. You are lucky. Whoever dropped them could just as easily sold them or gave them away. I can't give you any help on the breeds but love them and have fun! These people are experts so you chose a good place to ask.

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    In the first pic from left to right:

White Cochin hen
    Red something. I want to say Rhode Island Red but the white earlobes are throwing me off.
    Blue Cochin rooster.

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Beautiful birds! I think the white and blue ones are Cochins, and the red one is colored like a Rhode Island Red, but the white earlobes make her not RIR. Lucky you!

eta - Woops - Blue roo, NOT hen!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I would say the black/blue and white are standard cochins and the reddish one a mix of something just not quite sure what. I'd say black/blue roo other two hens....[​IMG] That's my guess anyway...

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wow-I wish someone would drop off chickens like that at my house! The big blue cochin is a roo-the white is a hen from what I can tell and the dark red I think is a hen too. Looks like a RIR but in a weird way???

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] from Wisconsin!

9. cmkohnle

cmkohnle New Egg

Sep 20, 2009
    Deerfield
    Very pretty birds. I have RIRs and I'm pretty sure the red is one. My hens are almost 18 months old now and their crowns are a LOT larger than the 2 girls you have, I think that means that they are fairly young under 6 months if they haven't started laying yet. You should handle them often and they will be like having a dog with feathers...[​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Its not a Rhode Island Red.. RIR's don't have White earlobes...
    RIR's have Red earlobes...

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by