Someone dropped off some chickens at my house...

ND Sue

Songster
10 Years
Sep 20, 2009
ND
Hi,
I'm new here and am now a chicken owner! So far!

I found 3 chickens by my farm Sat. and caught them Sunday. They were in the exact same spot, where I think they were dumped.

I'm in the middle of no where, ND. and none of my neighbors have chickens, so I assume they were dropped off. They are in great shape and fat, so I don't think they traveled far. They are also fairly tame. I'm surprised they are a fancy type and wouldn't think someone would just dump them, but people can be strange!

They are in temporary digs.. staying in a dog house and dog kennel for now. I am working on getting a little place put together for them.

So my big question is, I am wondering what they are and what sex. I know the big brown one is a rooster because he crows and protects the others. I am hoping the other 2 are hens!

I've always wanted chickens and my husband was against it, so I never went out and bought any, but when they fall in your lap, it was meant to be! So I hope to learn a lot from all of you!

Anyway, here is a pic of them:

10217_167347034007_687634007_3658612_7674177_n.jpg

Hens? I hope?

10217_167347059007_687634007_3658617_4410424_n.jpg

They are really cute. You are lucky. Whoever dropped them could just as easily sold them or gave them away. I can't give you any help on the breeds but love them and have fun! These people are experts so you chose a good place to ask.

Beautiful birds! I think the white and blue ones are Cochins, and the red one is colored like a Rhode Island Red, but the white earlobes make her not RIR. Lucky you!

eta - Woops - Blue roo, NOT hen!

Last edited:
I would say the black/blue and white are standard cochins and the reddish one a mix of something just not quite sure what. I'd say black/blue roo other two hens....
smile.png
That's my guess anyway...

wow-I wish someone would drop off chickens like that at my house! The big blue cochin is a roo-the white is a hen from what I can tell and the dark red I think is a hen too. Looks like a RIR but in a weird way???

Very pretty birds. I have RIRs and I'm pretty sure the red is one. My hens are almost 18 months old now and their crowns are a LOT larger than the 2 girls you have, I think that means that they are fairly young under 6 months if they haven't started laying yet. You should handle them often and they will be like having a dog with feathers...
big_smile.png

Its not a Rhode Island Red.. RIR's don't have White earlobes...
RIR's have Red earlobes...

Chris

Back
Top Bottom