Someone experienced please tell me...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akanalynn, Jun 10, 2008.

1. akanalynn

akanalynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Ok, so I have 3 chickens and they have a little 3x3 coop with an attached run.

There is a gold laced polish and a BR, about 5 weeks old, and a 14 or so week old silkie. The silkie is very small, and they all get along well. They are outside in the run together all day with not much ado, but I've been moving them inside at night. Last night I forgot about them till well after dark, and I had to wake them up to take them in (they were not pleased)

They are ALL inside, in my kitchen, because I didnt want to put the silkie outside with no one to keep her warm, and the others were too young. I have seen pics of other people's chicks of similar age, and mine seem so much bigger and less fluffy. The BR's head is fully feathered, no more fluff at all, anywhere... GLP just has fluff on her neck, and is growing a nice little pompador. [​IMG]

So now I want to know if I can put all the kids outside. I have no way to attach a light, and it gets to about 55 at night here. I think it's probably almost that cold in the house at night too... I haven't been using a heat light for the last week or so. And I have no way of hooking one up outside.

So... Can they go outside at night?

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I would put them out...but I'm doing things a lot different this year and it's working for me. They seem to be thriving more than when I kept them inside for eleventy million years...and my family sure appreciates it, too! hehe

3. akanalynn

akanalynn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    gah, I'm pregnant and due in 3 weeks, and they are getting ... shall we say... smellier... as time goes on. And more aggressive about their peeping... Im wondering about the GLP, could be a roo.

When they start attempting to crow, does it sound like a sqwauk?

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    hehe yup, basically.

Ohhh sense of smell with pregnancy gets worse, doesn't it? Yes, put those babies out. They should be fine. :) Give them some hay or something to snuggle down in to if they need to, but otherwise I wouldn't do anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by