Someone fill me in on Goat milking...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by crazychickengirl, Jul 12, 2008.

1. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Alright...never in a million years would I thought I'd actually WANT to milk a goat. But after reading a thread on here that talks about goat milk, and cheese, and soap, and yada yada...now I'm feeling the need to have my very own milk goat. However, I would like to be prepared before actually getting one so I know what I'm getting myself into. You see, I'm one of those gals who has great ideas but doesn't really check into it too much beforehand, and therefore my plans backfire and that usually makes DH upset. So....all you goat milkers out there....enlighten me! Don't hold back...tell me everything there is to know....both good and bad. Or honestly I wouldn't be against getting a milking cow, but once again, I know NOTHING about them either. I do have two pygmy goats that are 2 yrs old...one boy who's fixed and one girl who isn't fixed. I've been told that I could milk poor Daisy, but would need her to have a baby first. Anyways, any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

2. crazychickengirl

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Ok...are all you goat-milkers keeping your secrets to yourself??? LOL

3. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Yes you can milk her. Yes she'll need to be a mama.

I enjoy it very much. My girls are full sized Saanen/Nubian crosses. I've been only doing it for about 3 months. So just saying go for it! [​IMG]

4. draftiemama

draftiemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Florida
    Go to Goatworld.com, there's a BB and the people are friendly and will answer all your questions.

I have 2 wethers, so milking isn't an option for me.[​IMG]

5. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    We raise Nubian goats and they have great personalities!! Yes, she has to have a baby before she kids and the way we do it is that we leave the kids on their mom for about two weeks and then I start milking. I milk twice a day into a stainless steal pail and strain it with a strainer (hoeggers goat supply website).
    We have a milkstand that they step up on and then they eat while in the stand. PM me if you have more questions. [​IMG]

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Did you ever milk a cow or anything before? The hand motion takes a few tries to get coordinated. Practice makes perfect. If you ever drum your fingers on your desk or anything, like this--index-middle-ring-pinky--that's how you milk, sorta. Oh, and your hands WILL hurt for the first couple of weeks until you get stronger.

If you can learn on a goat, do so, by all means. It's a LOT easier than learning on a cow that is normally used to machine milking. The machines apply an even all-over pressure, which your hands will not be able to reproduce, so the cow will feel like it's being pinched. Definitely learn on a goat if that's possible. I learned how to milk by helping out my neighbors' dairy farm when the power went out...Was not a fun experience for anyone.

Goatkeepers is right, you will want a stanchion. Your life will just be ever so much easier. Prepare to have the pan kicked over the first few times, too.

Also, if I were you I'd think about what to do with all the milk. You have to get 2-3 goats so they can keep each other company, so you're going to end up with maybe a gallon a day or more, depending on what sort of goats you get and how good they are. How much time do you have in the day to devote to milking, yogurtmaking, cheesemaking, butter churning? If you work full-time and have a long-ish commute, you are not going to want to come home to 30 minutes of milking plus another 30 minutes of milk processing, unless you can use a gallon a day of milk. Now, me personally, I can use maybe a quart a day and DH can drink perhaps a pint a day of milk. After that, I'd have 2 1/2 quarts of milk to make into yogurt/cheese/ice cream/butter. Every. Fracking. Day. Including holidays, sick days, etc. The chickens, if I'm feeling unwell I can have DH fill up the feeder and waterer and they'll be OK until I'm on my feet. Personally, I'd never find time to post on BYC if I had goats. Nor would I have any other hobbies, such as gardening or minding chickens. But if I stayed at home or worked part-time only, I'd consider it.

I too have what DH calls "harebrained schemes." I know how tempting they are. Some things, you just have to reeeeaaaaally think through though.

7. crazychickengirl

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm a stay at home mom of three young children (ages 7,4, & 1) and will be homeschooling my oldest this fall. So I have the time to milk, but yet I don't have the time...you know? I'm thinking I'm going to pass on this idea of goat milking for now. I'll stick to my chickens...and paying $4/gallon for milk at the store! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by