Someone forgot to tell my chicken that she's supposed to sing....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by t4dbirds, Sep 16, 2010.

1. t4dbirds

t4dbirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    AFTER laying the egg, not before [​IMG][​IMG] She gets very noisy and want to come back in to her crate (no coop yet) and then gets deathly quite and lays her egg. Not even a peep during or after the egg is laid. The first time she laid one I hadn't a clue that she had until I went by the crate and saw it there. Now when she makes a racket and wants to come in I let her in and wait for it to get quit. Then when she's moving around again I find the egg [​IMG]

I've been dying to hear the lookie what I did song and I silence. Seems she's taking her egg laying duty very solemnly [​IMG][​IMG]

So far I've got 3 eggs from her this week, she skipped Wednesday.

Forgot to add I do here a sound that sounds like purring when she's just about to lay....

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    1 of my pullet makes loads of noise when she's deciding where to lay. I watched her today. She ran for the coop came out ran under the ramp where she had a hidden nest ran back to the coop ran to the new nest outside screaming all the way until she settled on the outer nest then not a peep. They are funny the other girl made loads of noise when she showed me the hidden nest last week, it wasn't hers.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Only a couple of mine continue the egg song, and not everyday. Mine make the purring too, a few seconds before the egg pops out. But of course, it's like giving birth. I'm sure it's not comfortable, lol.

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Not that I know anything about this yet, but I thought the egg song was before they laid the egg.

5. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    My Wilamena doesn't sing after either... she basically "[email protected]#$" out everyone and everything around her... acts very disturbed, kinda like a cranky toddler who needs a nap till she finds a place to lay her egg. She will do this even when she is right next to the nest box...

D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  6. t4dbirds

Apr 25, 2010
    LOL Tuesday Chicks, a tattle tale hen [​IMG].

That's what Poppy does runs around like Wilamena and grumps at everything in her way until she's in her crate and it's arranged the way she wants it. The first time she started this I thought something was after her, she about knocked herself out trying to get past the fence I had up (has slots the chicks can get through since they are bantams) and came screaming and complaining to the back door. I let them in to their crate and checked the backyard. I didn't see any coons or hear eagles so wasn't sure at the time what had freaked her out. After a while she quited down and so I decided to see if they wanted to go back outside and there was an egg [​IMG] I wasn't even expecting her to start laying yet. This morning she laid way earlier than Monday or Tuesday, she laid in the afternoon both those days. I didn't even have time to change the papers from the night before. I tell you I'm looking forward to having the coop built for them outside!!!

I'm hoping the other starts laying soon. She's a frizzle so who knows how long before she matures, not to mention I'm not sure if she's a hen or a rooster yet [​IMG]

Thanks for the funny stories all! Oh and Poppy, is now so much easier to catch, she squats as soon as I get near her! No more ring around the flower pots and BBQ to catch her. If I can get her Fizzle (the frizzle) follows, makes life so much easier!

7. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

I only have one hen laying just now, a little Serama and she is in the pen with her hubby, so I don't have to go looking for the egg, but I have only heard her "sing" once, the first time she laid after having a break of 8 weeks. She and hubby both, went on and on. Now, she just quietly gets in her little nest box and just as quietly out again. I'm hoping that when my big girls start to lay, they will sing for me. On another note, is that an African Grey in you avatar? How old? How long have you had him/her? I have one that I brought home with me from South Africa a few years ago, and she is a real character. No eggs from her yet, [​IMG]

8. t4dbirds

Apr 25, 2010
    That's funny that the hubby went on about the egg as well. Guess he was feeling proud of his mate lol.

Wow, she came a long way [​IMG]. Yes, he's a Congo African Grey. I got CJ when he was pin & skin he was still being hand fed. The breeder showed me how to feed him with a syringe (no needle) into the crop. I had to get up in the middle of the night for several weeks! He was so sweet and cuddly. Now he's 15 and in the bratty teen stage [​IMG][​IMG]. He is a character, when I have company he laughs and carries on his own conversations which cracks up all my visitors. I'm always amazed at his range of vocalizations and how much he actually understands.

I bet you have lots of fun stories about your girl. Was she a baby when you got her? I bet she's a talker? CJ didn't start getting into mating mode until a couple of years ago. Now I have to give him some 'cover' time for privacy [​IMG] he loves to play pick-a-boo and randomly shouts boo at me during the day. Not to mention some horrible shrill sounds he picked up along his life time (ones the fire alarm for my home [​IMG], another I don't know where he got and a few from a cocktail that had stayed at my house for a while. He likes to take sounds and mimic them at top volume. He also loves saying 'woo sexy bird'. An old roommate taught him that one [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Quote:My wellie does that too and she sings the egg song for herself and for my SLW lacie....but she makes sure to sing it louder for herself...funny little bird

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not all hens sing the Egg Song, and not all the time, nor do they do it after... some do it before, and some only do it when another hen has laid an egg. I have a few girls that don't sing it at all.

But I do love it when I hear it. Rebecca, an EE, sings the Egg Song the most consistently - and for about 3 minutes! I have a recording of her song on my cell phone that I happened to catch as she started it. It's 2 minutes 59 seconds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by