Someone gave me bread starter but did not tell me how to take care of it

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mskayladog, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

Is a potato flake starter, I have it in a mason jar with cheesecloth over it now what?

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Never heard of a potato flake starter.
    I have heard of using potato peels in water to catch wild yeast and start a sourdough. So maybe that is what it is?
    Treat it just like a sour dough starter I believe. Stir it everyday, feed it once a week. Feed it the night before you want to use it with 1 cup flour, one tablespoon of sugar and one cup water.

Maybe someone who knows will chime in.

3. Mskayladog

Do I keep it in the fridge.

4. ArmFarm

ArmFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    Yes you keep it in the fridge. It sounds like sourdough bread starter, then you feed it with a mixture of instant potato flakes, sugar and water. Did they give you the recipe for the bread and how to feed it? If not, I can scan my recipe and email it to you.

5. Mskayladog

Thanks I did find some info here http://www.angelfire.com/ab/bethsbread/sdPotatoFlakeStarter.html

And the recipie

Ingredients for 2 - 3 loaves of bread:
    1 c starter (see above)
    1/2 c sugar (some recipes call for less sugar)
    1/2 c corn oil
    1 Tbls salt (some recipes call for less salt, 1 to 2 tsp.)
    1 1/2 c warm water
    6 c bread flour OR 4 c bread flour & 2 c whole wheat flour

If your recipe is different I would love to have it.

Also. Can I use all purpose flour instead of bread flour?

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Bread flour has more gluten in it than all-purpose. the higher gluten makes the dough "stretchier" and helps make for a better rise and "nicer crumb" .
    The all-purpose will work, but the bread may be a touch denser than it would be with a bread flour. Alternative is all-purpose with a tablesoon or two of "Vital Wheat Gluten" added to the dough. you can buy this at the store, this is what I do so I don't have to store two kinds of flour.

7. Mskayladog

Thanks! I love this place so much info and helpful folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by