1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone gave us a Chicken, but what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by schlitch, Aug 6, 2007.

1. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    We received our first Chicken from a city family last week. I've been attempting to identify the breed via the internet but haven't been able to figure it out. I'm including this picture that I took and am hoping that some of you have some ideas. We were also thinking that it also might be a rooster, but after reading that hens crow too we aren't sure at all. The family that brought it to us say that their daughter brought it home around easter, so it appears to be about 4 1/2 months old.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think.

[​IMG]

2. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    looks like a silver laced wydanotte rooster.

3. Katelyn

Katelyn Cooped Up

Jun 2, 2007
    Looks like a easter egger roo to me.

Go to feathersite.com and look at easter eggers. I think thats what it is. It doesnt look full enough to be a wyandotte. And the colors not right. Plus it looks like it has beard and/or muffs

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  4. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Maybe its a light Brahma/Ameraucana mix? Its colored like a Brahma and it looks like it has feathers on its feet, but brahmas have yellow feet and they do't have ear muffs.

5. schlitch

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    It could just be a 'mutt' [​IMG]

The gray/slate colored feet with only a few feathers on them, have thrown me off while looking as well as the muffs. It will be interesting to see how it changes over the next month or so.

I've been in the process of building a portable coup/chicken tractor for it, and once completed we will give it some companions.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I want to say that is a 100% mutt! Lovely bird. It has EE in it, and some feather legged breed mixed in.

7. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Whatever he is, he is a purdy bird! You're dead on with the age since he has some tail feathers. Be sure to post his pic again once he gets older!!!

8. schlitch

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I was surprised how the flash of the camera reflected a shimmering green tint off of the tail feathers. I will make sure to post more pics in about a month or so.

[​IMG]

9. schlitch

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    When would the spurs start to develop on the ole rooster? I don't really see even the start of them on him at all, but boy does this one crow in the morning!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They don't usually become more than bumps till after six months old at least. My 10 month old Barred Rock had 1" spurs. My Blue Orp, who is only seven months old, just has 1/2" blunt nubs still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by