Someone got into my duck's house...ARGHHH!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 24, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    This morning, i went to go let out my pekins, i looked at the latch and lock on the house and it was OPEN! i flipped and instantly ran to see if anything had gotten in there. both the ducks were fine and they ran out, that was when i turned around and saw their water bucket that i had JUST cleaned when i put them to bed last night. someone had smashed a hole through the bottom. one large piece was missing and there were cracks everywhere. its THICK plastic and the ducks can't do that, and for one they can't get the latch and lock open and get their water out! the latch can ONLY be opened by a person, its impossible for animals. also, i looked at the water bucket, and noticed something. i put my foot in it. i figured out what broke it. someone took it and just smashed it with their foot. my ducks were without water since 10 last night!! also, we have a door between the house and pen to keep them seperated (fighting) and if they had gotten in with each other i would've woken up to bleeding ducks. i am soooo outraged. there is this one kid in my grade that lives down the street and as he was walking by after school with his friends, he pointed to the duck house and laughed. i think it was him. if any of the ducks had gotten hurt these people would be in bigger trouble than they already are. i can't believe anyone would do that!!!! plus, all the kids around know how special the ducks are to me!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You have got a bully to contend with. I don't know how to tell you to handle him, but the more bullies get away with, the worse they get. I would file a police report if I were you. They may not do anything, but at least they will have it on file. Some motion sensor lights would be a good idea, and some video camera setups are inexpensive. Nothing like catching the culprit in the act. And someone needs to confront him. You, your parents, the police. My guess is you haven't seen the last of him.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Put a lock on the coop. Report the incident and your suspicions to the Sheriff. Then let them handle it. Perhaps they will talk to the boy's parents.

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Don't confront him, he will probably deny it anyway. I would put a padlock on the gate, and talk to the police. I hope you don't have any more problems.

5. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    We had to put a lock on our chicken coops, because when it was starting to get cold outside someone closed the pop door on my coop and turned their radio station. When I got home the chickens were cold and very happy to be able to return to their warm coop and food.

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Don't confront anyone unless you have evidence.

Put a lock on the coop and keep the key in a place only you know about.

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Report the incident and your findings of a foot through the bottom of the bucket, let the police handle it. I would say if someone put their foot through a bucket, there is probably a scratch on their ankles that is fresh. Little jerks!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG]
    Sorry that happened. Glad your ducks were ok though. Some kids (and people) are just asses. [​IMG] I agree with the other posters and put an actual lock on your coop. If he did it once he may do it again. You can also put up the fake video cameras and motion sensor light as well for extra security if possible. I wish we lived closer. I have a night vision camera that takes a picture when the motion sensor sets it off. I found the fox staking out my coop with this.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. sesa

sesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Thurmont, Md
    wire the latch with an electric fence box and set up a video camera, could be fun

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Does that mean kids aren't people. Sorry, just kidding. I know what you meant.

Let law enforcement handle it. Tell them what you found, who you suspect and why. They won't arrest anybody because of lack of evidence, but they will probably go talk with the boy and his parents. Meanwhile, put a lock on the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by