Someone got my banty last night ** update **

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by midget_farms, May 22, 2008.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I went out to close the coop last night about 10pm. I thought something wasn't right, but didn't poke around too much.

This morning when I let them out I counted heads & our black frizzle banty was gone. Nothing left by two feathers.

I have a pair of red tailed hawks that live two doors down. Could have been one of them.

I have a pair of Opossum that live in the woods not 20 feet from the coop.

I have a red fox that comes around every now & then for a snack.

I have a coyote I saw 1 time.

Last night I saw a coon in the back yard - first time for a coon & no where near the chickens.

I set the trap. We'll see what we get in the morning.

I'm trying to decide if I should get the electric fence or just cover the run. at 25' by 25' it wouldn't be easy to cover, but then again not impossible either.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I did both. Electric fence and covered run, nothing gets them now:>) I only wish I could free range but there are too many predators here...my neighbors dog being the worst. One day I'm gonna tie him up in my front yard so I can let the birds range in the back for a while. He's here sniffing around my coop every day just waiting for an opportunity. Last year he got a few of them until I put up the electric

3. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I knew I needed to run electricity to the coop before winter, but before summer is quicker than I wanted.

But what choice do I have - I can't just keep buying chickens so I can feed the neighborhood ghouls.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I run two 50 ft extention cords with a power bar at the end to plug in all the stuff I need:>) Just cover the extention add ons with a freezer bag and tape it on:>) Not the best idea I know but I have been doing it this way for years

5. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Just added an electric wire to the top of the fence.

I set the live trap last night but didn't catch anything, but the trap was sprung this morning.

That means coon most likely. Since the bait was all moved around & picked over I don't think a opossum can use its fingers that well, but maybe.

I sure wish I could see his face when he hits that wire![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by