Someone has bloody stools

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChixPix, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I was just out talking to the chickens.
    [​IMG]

I happened to notice right under a chicken a bloody stool. Actually, it was all blood - deep red. I started inspecting the run, and I saw a stool that had some blood around it.

I didn't see the chicken actually poop, I assumed that it was the one standing there. I tried to chase her down, but she wouldn't let me catch her. Plus I'm old and out of shape :p And that run is too big. So anyway, everyone ACTS fine. I have 18 12 week old BR and RIR, and 2 older BR and RIR layers.

The 18 younger ones were on medicated feed until about 8 weeks or so. They all are on general purpose crumbles now.

Not sure what I should do, I can't figure out who it is to quarantine the one - not that I have anywhere to quarantine her anyway!!

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Songster

I'd treat the whole flock with Sulmet for coccidiosis. The timing is about right. The medicated feed helps ward off a serious case of cocci when your chicks are small and less able to deal with the stress of the disease. Since they've been off the amprolium now for about 8 weeks, they've probably picked up the E tenella strain (just one of several strains) which attacks the ceca and produces the bloody droppings. Not all strains of cocci produce bloody droppings, BTW. Once infected and recovered, your birds will have a resistance to those strains in future.

Sulmet (Sulfamethazine Sodium) is available at many farm supply stores. Dosage of Sulmet 12.5% is 2 Tbsp. per gallon of drinking water for two days, then 1 Tbsp. per gallon for 4 additional days. Discard any eggs while treating with Sulmet and for 10-14 days after.

3. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Thank you so much for your help! I wondered if that's what it might be. I'm a noob who's been pretty lucky so far. LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by