1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone help me please.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melissaowens, May 5, 2009.

1. melissaowens

melissaowens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    All my hens have decided they dont want to lay eggs in their nest anymore, they want to lay them on the ground. they have little nests built, they act like they are wanting to brood but im not sure, since they started this i have only gotten 1 or 2 eggs a day 3 if im lucky, i have 7 hens and one roo, my hens are about 8 or 9 months old. any answers?

i am clueless as to whats going on.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    are they starting to moult? they say that they won't lay if they are starting to moult. maybe try a few golf balls in the nest boxes. they might not feel like they are safe anymore and the goft balls will help them realize that is where they should lay. but then again that could encourage them to go broody....... hmmmm dilema. hope someone else can help

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine lay in the coop when they are disoriented, like when we started moving, they did that. Has anything changed around there? New birds?, chicks? New dog or cat? It doesn't seem to matter how many nesting boxes we have - they all lay in one nest, so try the golf ball thing.

4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I would pick up the eggs on the floor frequently so they don't get the idea that's what they should do. They are young, so maybe still learning, or as
    debiraymond has suggested, something may have disturbed them.

5. melissaowens

melissaowens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    andalusia alabama
    well i built an addition to the coop seperated for my teenager chickens about a week ago, could this be why? my dogs dont get around then, we have a electric fence around it so neighbors dogs and our dogs dont bother them.

oh yeah, i put golf balls in there this mornin, i found an egg laying in the nest they made. i picked it up. i wouldnt mind one broody but all of them no.

Last edited: May 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by