1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SOMEONE HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CandyQueen, Dec 1, 2014.

1. CandyQueen

CandyQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    MY ROOSTER IS GASPING AND SNEEZING. It has been a little rainy and VERY cold and he stays in his coop. It JUST now started, he will stretch he neck out and sneeze and then gasp for air. SOMONE PLEASE REPLY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!

2. StewedMammal

StewedMammal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    If it just started, it is normal if they swallowed food wrong, kind of like coughing for people, keep an eye on him for a little while, he should be fine.

3. CandyQueen

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    But what if it persists? I have seen him swallow food wrong or get something stuck in his nose, and how he deals with it. But this is different, he has never done this before, I'm sorry if I sound rude but im just really worried...

4. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
    Its fine, I was acting the same way when one of my first chickens did the same thing. If it persists, I really don't know, I had a hen who went on doing it for weeks a couple times a day and it sounded really bad. She did finally stop however and did get better. It shouldn't go on long, but if it does let me know.

5. CandyQueen

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    Alright.

6. CandyQueen

Jun 11, 2014
    Oklahoma, Stilwell
    Its still going on

7. StewedMammal

Feb 19, 2013
    Pembroke, MA
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sneezing and gasping can be signs of different respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, and ILT. ILT can have gasping and outstretching of the neck to cough or sneeze. The symptoms of these diseases can get worse at night. Do you see any foam in the eyes, nasal drainage, swelling around the face or an eye, any bloody mucus from beak, chest rattles, or notice a bad odor? Since respiratory diseases can be viruses, bacterial, or fungal, antibiotics such as Tylan and oxytetracycline may or may not decrease symptoms, but can help to prevent secondary bacterial infections. Read over this link to learn more about symptoms of these and other common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by