1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

someone, HELP!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bawkadoodledoo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    I saw one of my supposed leghorn gals, Big Bella, fussing around getting hormonal about trying to find a nest.

I catch her, but her in a medium sized cat carrier in the chknhouse, with some water, and there were no eggs when i put her in there, but when i came back, she had laid a BROWN EGG.

Help, do leghorns lay brown eggs, if not what is she?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Post a pic of your bird and we can see if we can confirm. Maybe she is a white rock? I think those lay brown eggs.

3. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    Equally important is tell us what color her ear lobes are. At least there is no question about her sex, hugh.

Discovery Channel reported on a recent show that chickens with white feathers laid white eggs and those with dark feathers laid dark eggs. Now go figure.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    [​IMG]
    This is her sister, Big Bertha, but she's essentially the same, with a bit more spunk and anger in her face.

5. Bawkadoodledoo

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    here's another pic of her sister.

[​IMG]

6. Yogiman

Yogiman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    South Louisiana
    I'm guessing white rock with the yellow legs. Very pretty, no matter what she is.

7. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

looks just like my White Rock -- I too thought she was a Leghorn until I saw the brown eggs ....

Candy

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yup, she's a white rock.

Jody

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I ve got two bantam leghorns and one lays off white the other lays lite tan egg

10. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I have hens that should be laying White and are laying brown.

I have a white eared gal laying brown, so it is not set in stone. There may be a mix somewhere, even though I was told mine were pure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by